Add ons

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by garry1, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Jan 4, 2007 #1 of 13
    garry1

garry1 New Member

Jan 3, 2007

Advertisements

Hi guys, first things first, great site and great info that has helped me make my decision to take the plunge and get a Tivo from the usual place. A couple of things i was wondering is, what add ons would you suggest and also do i need anything else to link the Tivo up to a Eurovox other than some scart leads? Thanks for any info, cheers.

2. Jan 4, 2007 #2 of 13
    Tivo_noob

Tivo_noob New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    What size HD have you got as that should be the first thing you upgrade, then cachecard (with or without RAM), Tivoweb and once thats installed the list is endless!

Congrats by the way :)

3. Jan 4, 2007 #3 of 13
    garry1

garry1 New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Thanks for the reply Tivo_noob, the hard drive is whopping 250gig so that's fine, as for the cachecard dose this enable you to connect wirelessly to the net for updates? And is it worth investing in one? Tivoweb, can i be so bad and ask for a brief description of what Tivoweb is and dose, sorry for the silly questions but as you can tell i'm a noob. :)

4. Jan 4, 2007 #4 of 13
    Raisltin Majere

Raisltin Majere The 96 YNWA

Mar 12, 2004
    Devon
    A cachecard allows a wired (lan) connection to the tivo, you can plug it into a wireless bridge if that's more convenient and yes, you can download over the net with it. With a stick of RAM it wil lcache the database to speed tivo up.

Tivoweb is basically a web server residing on the tivo, allowing you to connect remotely (LAN/WAN) and do everything you can do on the tivo with the remote and a whole lot more.

have a look at tivo.lightn.org and there are some modues here http://www.garysargent.co.uk/tivo/hacking.htm

the lightn's tivoweb has been upgraded to tivoweb plus, I don't have a link but a search or google will find it

5. Jan 4, 2007 #5 of 13
    garry1

garry1 New Member

Jan 3, 2007

Advertisements

Thanks Raisltin Majere i'll give it a look. :up:

6. Jan 4, 2007 #6 of 13
    Tivo_noob

Tivo_noob New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    No problem mate, i was a noob once myself (still consider myself one, but i do know a lot more now than when i choose my username!) do a lot of searching on the forums and ask as many questions as you want, that is how i learnt from some very kind people.

Well if its 250gb there is no need for an upgrade! You may want to consider a cachecard if you want network access to your Tivo and it definately (imho) is worth investing in one. With it you will be abe to:

* Use your network to download your programme data rather than your phone line

* Insert a RAM stick to speed up the Tivo's menus

* Install Tivoweb (which allows you to install numourous add ons to your Tivo)

* Take files from the Tivo and transfer them to PC (but we can't talk about that on here!)

The best is Tivoweb which will allow you remote access to your Tivo, set recordings, delete recordings, edit season passes the list is basically endless. Do a search on these forums and you'll soon understand the benefits of having tivoweb

:)

*edit, pah beaten to it.

In fact Raisltin Majere is one of the kind people i talked about who helped me when i first joined the forum :up:

7. Jan 4, 2007 #7 of 13
    garry1

garry1 New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Guys, thanks so much for the help, i must admit, as stupid as this sounds ,i'm a bit scared about the whole process :eek: I really want my Tivo to work to it's full potential but one step at a time :) Is Ebay the cheapest and best place to get a card?

8. Jan 4, 2007 #8 of 13
    Tivo_noob

Tivo_noob New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Yeah pretty sure they are although not 100%, i certainly haven't seen them cheaper. It is all a bit daunting at first, but in the space of 1 yr i have added tivo web, all modules, pulled the drive, reinstalled cachecard drivers from my home pc and pulled "stuff" off my tivo to my PC

And i knew absolutley nothing about Linux or Tivo so don't give up as it's all worth it. What i wil say is that i enjoy "messing" about with stuff so it was all a learning process that i enjoyed, if your like minded you should be ok!

9. Jan 4, 2007 #9 of 13
    dponsford

dponsford New Member

Oct 23, 2005
    London

I would second that.

I too was nervous about pulling the drive, but there are some fabulous instructions in the links on the forum that talk you through it step by step, from creating the boot CD through to installing all sort of stuff like ftp server!

Tivoweb is a must and I used Endpad too.

10. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    As a new Tivo user you will soon discover that BBC2 and other channels regularly start and end late which can be frustrating i.e. "And the murderer is...". It's hard to manage with Tivo's built in overrun scheduling. You can add padding to the end of a recording but this prevents a recording being made immediately after that one - even if both recordings are on the same channel.

If you only install one thing in your new Tivo I would make it endpad (search this forum). This automatically starts a recording to earlier than scheduled and over runs the end if there is nothing else scheduled to record that would overlap.

11. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    This lot should give you an idea of all the things you can do with a Cachecard, Tivoweb and external access to your Tivo over the internet.

www.steveconrad.co.uk/tivo

http://tivo.lightn.org/

www.ljay.org.uk/tivoweb/

www.garysargent.co.uk/tivo/hacking.htm

www.beaconhill.plus.com/TiVo/tivohacks.htm

http://www.arielbusiness.pwp.blueyo.../TiVo/HowTo.htm

http://alt.org/wiki/index.php/TiVoWeb Modules

http://thomson.tivo.googlepages.com

http://tivo.stevejenkins.com/network_cd.html

http://widgets.yahoo.com/gallery/?search=oztivo&x=0&y=0

www.planetbuilders.org/tivo/tivo_upgrade_diary.html

www.tivohackman.com

12. garry1

garry1 New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Guys, fantastic, thanks so much for all the help, it makes a change to get some feedback from members other than being told to, "use the search" which i have, so once again thank you. :up:

13. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    If you do go for the TivoWeb option, you can change its look by using one of my Lovely Themes; follow the link in my sig.

And if you install Hack Manager, you can change the look of its buttons by adding some of the images I created for it, which are also linked to in my sig.