Add Music to a Picture Slideshow?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Shanezam203, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I saw a few posts after searching but currently there is not a way to add Music to a picture slideshow right?

I have my Music playing seperatly and my pics viewable in a slideshow but I can't do the two together... any thoughts?

Thank you,

Shane

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    You can do it vicariously through OneTrueMedia. Here's a relevant FAQ page. Once you have a montage created, you create a "channel" that will show up in your Now Playing List. You can also share the channel with other TiVo users.

3. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Sure, use Galleon, it has had that capability for years.

4. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I'll have to take a look at those 2, are they both pretty easy to use?

Thank you guys,

Shane

5. CuriousMark

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    They are not for grandma. Galleon has not been updated in quite a while, but there are afew here who still run it successfully. The other is also abandonware I think, but is easier to install and run on a PC. I am not sure anyone who posts here regularly is running it. The lack of discussion on both may also be an indication that they just work well for the people using them, it's hard to say for sure.

I am not currenly using either, but that has more to do with not wanting to keep the wife's computer on all the time to provide the service that I don't use all that often. When we do slide shows with music we usually put them on DVD. If I have pictures and want music it is simple to play the music from the iPod while the slideshow from TiVo Desktop plays on the TV quietly. I have also tried doing slides shows and music simultaneously using DLNA to my TV set. It works fine, but the DLNA user interface and server lags are hideous, so I prefer to use TiVo and TiVo Desktop which has much better navigation and performance.

6. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Thanks Mark, any idea why Tivo doesn't offer to play music during the pictures slide show & why it is kept seperate?

7. CuriousMark

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    You got me. I can only guess that the TiVo HMO (Home Media Option) protocol is single string and can only pull one stream at a time, either music or pictures. If so, more modern TiVo DVRs like the premiere could probably handle two. If that guess is accurate, it may be that it just isn't considered a feature with enough draw to make it to the top of their development list. Compared with all the things dozens of people here are crying for daily, this one doesn't seem to cause much excitement.

TiVo does seem to have a lot of irons in the fire, perhaps something they are working on will solve this problem someday. Meanwhile there are those two HME apps, which can do two things at once, that demonstrate it can be done and are available, though no longer maintained. That lack of maintenance also shows just how little call there is for this sort of thing.

Finally, you could always roll your own using wmcbrines HME for Python, or the TiVo SDK in Java. That's not really an option if you aren't a programmer.

8. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    OneTrueMedia is web based, so there's nothing to install on a computer. You upload pictures, videos, and optionally music (the site provides music) to build your montage/slideshow. You add your montage/slideshow to your "channel" which has a key, and it's then viewable on your TiVo. I believe you can even setup a Season Pass, so new montages/slideshows automatically download to your Now Playing List.

It's been QUITE some time since I last used it (2007 maybe?!), but I seem to recall that it is SLOW transferring the pictures, and the navigation around the site was slow, too. Downloading the slideshow took no time, similar to RSS feeds or the "VOD" content that TiVo provides.