Add DirecTV Now App

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by hamz9561, Sep 11, 2018.

1. hamz9561

hamz9561 New Member

Nov 14, 2013
    South Texas

Advertisements

DirecTV Now is all some of us can get in an apartment with a cable company that doesn't know what a cable card is and refuses to talk to TiVo about getting a cable card installed and the complex not allowing satellite dishes (Yes, I know that TiVo boxes can't record satellite TV.).

halx likes this.
  2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    And do you know Tivo does not write these apps?

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I’m not sure what a directv now app would do. Other than be passive. Directv now has its own guide and its own cloud dvr. It runs on very inexpensive hardware. Unless you are trying to integrate OTA with it, adding it to a TiVo does nothing. Netflix, etc, are complimentary to TiVo OTA and cable. Directv now is not.

4. sxmfan2018

sxmfan2018 Member

Aug 31, 2018
    los angeles
    The OP says there cable company doesn't know what a cable card is. File a complaint with the FCC and that will wake em up there supposed to support approved devices such as tvos and things like HD homerun boxes. Sounds like spectrum there OP. I have spectrum and it took me a month after fighting and arguing with them but holes and filing an FCC complaint

5. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015

Advertisements

I agree it would be nice if Tivo could run a few OTT apss. But if you've thrown in the towel on using Tivo with cable, why would you continue using Tivo at all? Just get a $25 Roku and run DirecTV NOW and be done with it.

As others have said, unless your cable system is IPTV, like U-verse, then cable card support is still the law of the land, and an FCC complaint should work.

6. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I wouldn’t get half the OTA with directv now that I get with cable. So, you can go OTA but you still need a dvr.

Streaming without basic cable or OTA is not a complete solution.

7. dred

dred New Member

Nov 24, 2018
    Silicon dust HD HomeRun is allowing OTA users to purchase its own Premium TV service which allows you to recored cable channels along with ota channels in one single interface. I am hoping Tivo does the same thing soon. If Tivo sold its own package like silicon dust it would not have to beg companies to create apps for the Tivo platform. It would also give tivo a an additional revenue stream to grow.

ke3ju likes this.
  8. Dec 5, 2018 #8 of 10
    BryanSD

BryanSD New Member

Aug 16, 2015
    I'm pretty convinced that if TiVO doesn't start offering some type of OTA integration with service like DirecTV Now, Sling TV, Hulu TV, YouTube TV...in a couple years from now I likely won't be a TiVO subscriber. There are way too many cheaper options like AirTV (a player/DVR that integrates OTA with Sling TV services).

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Can’t disagree, and a number of those providers are employing user profiles to provide a better user-specific experience, another feature that will pull me away.

BryanSD likes this.