Add Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by MikeSp, Dec 27, 2011.

1. MikeSp

MikeSp Member

Mar 2, 2010
    There must be some way in an update to the Tivo to allow real time streaming of Amazon Prime content without permitting the programs to be recorded since Prime programming cannot be recorded.

I prefer fewer set top boxes for streaming and my new Roku2 XS does not produce an audio feed in the HDMI when connected to my preamp-processor for Home Theater use although it works when connected to my TV -- would rather use my Tivos.

MikeSp

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I suspect that once that they enact the update that enables streaming between Tivos that there may be an add-on to enable Prime streaming. I think they are trying to get their own streams in order before allowing that of 3rd parties. Just my opinion though.

3. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts

Why would you think that? They already allow Netflix and Youtube streaming.

4. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I don't see these things as related at all. Tivo could enabled Prime regardless of whether or not Premiere-to-Premiere streaming works.

I suspect it's more a matter of priority. Tivo's focus is now on building DVRs for cablecos. This new "customer" doesn't give a hoot about Amazon or Netflix. In fact, they'd probably like to see lame outdated plugins for these services.

5. Jan 2, 2012 #5 of 31
    steve771

steve771 Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Agree. But we can still hold out hope! :D

6. Jan 6, 2012 #6 of 31
    JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    They have a finite number of engineers, and they have just released a major under the hood rewrite of the code. Perhaps now they can focus on the extras and 'visible' updates. They are still working on the OTT stuff, this latest update enables Hulu search in the main search for example

7. Jan 6, 2012 #7 of 31
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    That's not our problem. EVERY other device that offers Amazon Instant Video offers Amazon Prime video also. Most of those devices don't come with a subscription cost. Tivo is CHARGING you for the privilege of using the Amazon app. It should be BETTER than every other app out there.

8. Jan 6, 2012 #8 of 31
    Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    Right, Aadam! It's not our problem. Tivo has gotten in the habit of NOT doing it right the first time. Then, often they leave it alone. At least Microsoft gets things right the third time (and without making excuses).

If I go into a restaurant and the service is terrible, I don't care if somebody called in sick that day. And if Tivo doesn't have enough code crunchers to the job, it's most likely because some bean-counter decided they could save a few bucks with fewer software writers. After all, they are told in B-school that employees are a "cost center." No, the people who make and design products are a profit center. Dissatisfied customers are a cost center. And Tivo keeps making those.

9. Jan 6, 2012 #9 of 31
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think Tivo is only going to work on projects that have a business case that suggests significant subscription growth. Tivo was one of the first devices to include Netflix streaming and then they proceeded to lose millions of subscriptions. Why should Tivo add Amazon Prime streaming? The one box concept hasn't given Tivo a competitive edge.

10. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I haven't seen anything that makes me sure Amazon Prime Instant Video is possible with a TiVo but I have seen a lot of people request it and that makes me believe if it was easy and inexpensive to add, it would happen. At this point, I would just accept it won't happen with the current TiVo boxes and find another way. I like Amazon Prime streaming pretty well and use Google TV but I see Google TV owners complaining that it isn't a pretty app, you must access it just as you would with a PC.

11. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I think it's possible, obviously they do it with Netflix and Hulu.

There's more moving parts to this than TiVo. Amazon has to be on board as well. I'm sure Amazon is probably not the hold up, but it's not something that is necessarily simple to just flip a switch and turn on.

And in terms of having limited engineering resources, every company has limited resources and they have to make a business decision to focus those resources where they think it will make them the most money and make the most number of customers happy.

It seems that right now they're working on getting the core DVR stuff more stable and continuing the HDUI. That impacts 100% of their Series 4 customers, retail and cable. Amazon and Netflix affects only their retail customers. I'm not saying it's the best tradeoff (I'm a retail customer, not cable) but it's one that they've made. It also doesn't mean that at some point they'll get Amazon Prime or work on improving the Netflix UI or any of the other ancillary service requests that have been made.

12. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Doesn't look good for TiVo adding Amazon Prime Streaming any time soon. David Zatz covers it in his blog to some extent:

I also think it would be wise for TiVo to add this ability and I am not a Amazon Prime member. They also should get Vudu on board and again I will likely never rent/purchase a Vudu video.

13. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, according to @TivoDesign on Twitter (Margret, their VP of Design) the apps are actually designed by the providers (Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon) themselves. Now, IMO this isn't entirely an excuse because Tivo is ultimately responsible for the experience of their customers, if Amazon is responsible for the app and you're paying Amazon, they are partially responsible for this mess too (and maybe moreso than TiVo)

14. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    According to @TiVo on twitter (not margret, but their official account) they plan to have "news" about free Prime streaming soon.

15. DonGateley

DonGateley New Member

Jan 25, 2013
    This raises an interesting question. There are apparently a plethora of Amazon Prime streaming devices out there but are there any that stream both Netflix and Amazon Prime? I'm wondering if the Tivo inclusion of Netflix is what excludes Amazon Prime because of agreements with Netflix.

If that's the case we will never see it despite all the weasel words from Amazon and Tivo.

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There is nothing technical stopping them from adding Prime streaming to the Premiere platform. So the delay has to be business related.

Dan

17. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    There are plenty of devices that can do both. My Sony TV and my Xbox 360 have support for both.

18. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Yep my Sony TV has both. The PS3 has both.

19. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    Roku has Netflix, Amazon and Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus (among others). I don't see what the problem is allowing Prime on Tivo. Whether this is Tivo or Amazon's doing, they should enable Prime.

20. jeffm1911

jeffm1911 New Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    +1 on adding Amazon Prime streaming videos. I have Amazon Prime and it would get a lot of use on my Tivo if it was added.