Add 8TB to Roamio Pro - seems to be stuck on purple screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by mattyg30, Apr 19, 2021.

1. mattyg30

mattyg30 New Member

Aug 27, 2004

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Apologies - I posted this on the TiVo Roamio forum before I found this. Mods are free to delete that message since it's in the wrong place.

I've read the many posts here that talk about upgrading their Roamio Pros (and others) to use a drive larger than the 3TB drive that came with it. I've got a brand new Roamio Pro and I've taken out the 3TB drive and replaced it with an 8TB Western Digital. I'm following the procedure here (A Guide to Upgrading Your Tivo Bolt, Tivo Premiere, Tivo Roamio, Tivo Roamio OTA, Tivo HD, Tivo Series 3 or Tivo Series 2 (Easily upgrade your Tivo Bolt, Roamio or Premiere to 300 Hours+ HD Capacity) - Also includes instructions on how to fix a broken Tivo.) to put the new drive into the TiVo, let the software set it up, and then take it out and put it into the computer to expand it to the full 8TB using the winmfrs program.

With the 8TB drive in place the TiVo is at a screen that says "There is a serious problem with the information on the TiVo box's hard drive, and it can't be fixed." It says to press Select to continue and I've pressed Select many times but it's still on this screen.

It's unclear if the TiVo is simply reformatting the drive at this point and will reboot when it's done or if it's stuck here and I need to troubleshoot. I haven't seen this screen get called out in any of the hard drive upgrade instructions I've read.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. mattyg30

mattyg30 New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Quick update - still sitting at the screen after about an hour. I noticed in another thread that using a 7200RPM drive isn't supported due to the size of the power supply and heat generated. This is a 7200RPM drive and it does feel quite warm so I've ordered a 5400RPM drive and will try again tomorrow.

With that said - assuming I encounter this same screen again, any suggestions on how long to wait or how to get around it?

Thanks.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
  4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You cannot just use any hard drive in a Tivo. The power supply is too small to support any drive but the right ones. Drives which are SMR will not work, only CMR. 7200+RPM drives uses more power and creates more heat.
    Recommended is WDxxEFRX (Red Plus), WD Purple. 8TB, I believe WD80EFAX would work.

The site you pointed to is too old for Roamio

5. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009

Advertisements

Take the drive out and run WD diagnostic on it with a full read and write. Then start over with the MFSR thread here on TCF.

That was a mistake. As ThAbtO said, his info tends to be old.

Now that you came to the place that he gets a lot of his information from, you should be able to get up and running.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

6. mattyg30

mattyg30 New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Thanks for the replies. I jumped the gun ordering the WD Purple not realizing 7200RPM or CMR vs SMR would be an issue. I've read more and have since ordered a new 8TB WD Red Pro (CMR). It should be here today and I'll try again.

I've seen several threads on MFSR. Are you able to point me to the definitive one? Someone responded to my duplicate post with your instructions (DIY 10TB Roamio) here. Are those still valid? In my case there is nothing to backup from the original TiVo as it's a brand new Roamio Pro with nothing on the 3TB drive. I just want to get the new 8TB drive up and running.

Thanks again for your help!

7. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    The key is to run the drive through a complete read and write to flush out all the bad sectors. There is no error correction in the MFS. It relies on the drive SMART system to take care of things unlike the OS on computers.

Once you run the drive through the diagnostic read and write, put the drive in the TiVo. Let it boot to the opening screen. Pull the drive and run the latest MFSR version on it. Place it back in the TiVo and let it boot and you should be good to go. If you are not, did I mention that you should run a complete diagnostic read and write on the drive before beginning the process?

8. mattyg30

mattyg30 New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Much appreciate the quick replies here jmbach, thank you. After a quick talk with my wife (who is the primary TiVo user) we've decided to return the 8TB and go for a 10TB instead. She's been fighting with a 100% full Roamio for years so I'd rather get her a much bigger drive in the new TiVo so she doesn't have to worry about space...for a few years..

Thank you again! I'll report back how it goes.

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    WD Red Pro are 7200 RPM drives and shouldn't be used.

10. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Out of curiosity, are you going to run TE4 or TE3 on your new Roamio?

If you are going to run TE4, there is a good chance that the Roamio may self format the large drive correctly. (Would still run a complete read and write diagnostic on it first. ) Since Bolts on TE4 can now format large drives correctly if they are on TE4 it stands to reason that Roamios would follow suit.

If not or if you are using TE3, ask ggieseke for a special version of his MFSR that limits the created size to 8 TB. Create an 8 TB structure on your larger drive and boot it in your Roamio. Then run MFSTools on the drive to expand it to 10 TB.

11. mattyg30

mattyg30 New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    My mistake, I misspoke. I ordered the WD Red Plus which is 5400 RPM. Here is what I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083JXTH5L

We'll definitely be using TE3. We actually ordered a TiVo Edge originally and my wife tried it for two days and decided she hated TE4 so we returned it. The big issues for here were the inability to transfer shows within the UI and the inability to clip recordings by transferring from a pause point. Maybe there were ways around those issues but we couldn't find them. She's very excited to have another Roamio Pro but with more storage.

How should I get the special version of MFSTools? I think the one I downloaded was MFSR1004 but sounds like maybe that's not the right version?

Everyone here is so helpful - thank you all so much for the help here!

12. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Sent.

mattyg30 likes this.
  13. mattyg30

mattyg30 New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    I'd just like to give public thanks to ggieske who gave their personal time to help me finally get this resolved. I was able to get all 10TB recognized by the Roamio Pro and my wife couldn't be happier with her 1,600 hours of HD recording space! She's been fighting with a full Roamio Pro for years and I'm so happy to be able to give her a new device with so much more space.

And thanks again to everyone here for their help as well. My wife has been a long time TiVo user with our oldest device still on the account dating back to 2002. It's great to see such a helpful community still out there helping people like me.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021