Add 2nd receiver temporarily

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Marrelli, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Marrelli

Marrelli Member

Jan 12, 2007

Advertisements

I currently subscribe to one Directivo unit Samsung (SIR4040). I've sent it to Weaknees to get a larger harddrive. They want the access card in it in order to test it after they upgrade it. Takes at least a week in a half round trip getting it back.

Can I subscribe with a 2nd receiver temporarily, I assume a month minimum
    so I can continue to watch their service until I get my other unit back?

I currently have 2 other receivers I could use. My non-Dvr box before I
    got the DVR unit and an R10 box I bought new but never used as a backup
    for my Samsung.

If I can subscribe temporarily, which one should I use? I bought the R10 in 2006 and the software wouldn't be current, will that be a problem?

Will they require me to get a new access card? Even though the non-DVR
    was always mine and the R10 has never been activated?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    You'll need to call and ask. Most likely you will indeed need a new Access Card for that R10, too.

3. Marrelli

Marrelli Member

Jan 12, 2007
    I called DTV and was able to add my old non-DVR box. They had a record of that box (and access card) and it was activated with the existing access card. And I can drop it after a month. I told the rep about the new R10 I bought in 2006 and was told I could also add it but with that one being added I would have a 2 year commitment for service but I could still drop that box in a month. No new access card on that either. Since I didn't know whether the software on the 2006 box would work without problems. I opted for the non-DVR box.