Actors missing from Wishlist?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dconner, Jun 21, 2008.

1. dconner

dconner Member

Mar 13, 2004
    Northern...
    I was just trying to make a Wishlist for appearances by actor Robert Conrad (star of "Wild Wild West", "Baa Baa Black Sheep", etc.... and he's not on the list!

I'd think he'd be a pretty prominent actor, and there are certainly many, many far more obscure people who can be selected... (Listed under some obscure alternate name?)

Where does the wishlist actor data come from? Is there someone to contact about odd omissions like this?

2. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    IIRC, the list of actors only contains people who are in programs upcoming in the current guide data-- it might just be that he doesn't have anything upcoming in the next couple of weeks of guide data. I'd give it a while and try again.

3. dconner

dconner Member

Mar 13, 2004
    Northern...
    Ah, OK, that makes sense. I always figured it was working from some overall actor database, because I have some pretty obscure people on Wishlists who seldom show up on programs, but they were probably in something or other when added the first time....

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Why give it a while? If you want a Robert Conrad WL, just type in the name (Conrad Robert) like you would for any other WL search.

5. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I made a suggestion to TiVo (and the Sugg Forum here) a couple years ago, that they consider changing this method. Since the databases to store actors is so small, and the drives in the new HD units so large, they should simply keep every actor in the db. I also suggested they keep every movie in the db, from the date of release on. Create a new category of WL called "Movies", just like actors or directors. Then we could create Wishlists of movies when they are released, and months (or years) later, when they finally hit cable or air, the WL would grab 'em.

They obviously loved my idea. :(

6. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    There's nothing stopping anyone from creating an ARWL for the new Get Smart movie or for anything with Robert Conrad right now. There's no difference between picking something from a list and typing the words in yourself.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The partition that holds the settings is a fixed size. They might be able to expand that though, on future models, or allocate some of the program storage area for data.

8. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Well yes, actually there is. Creating a WL by typing is far more painful than simply selecting. I have a couple of those, and only have a couple for that reason.

But the concept I sent to TiVo was to create a single WL, that you could add dozens of movies to. Any time any of those movies had a hit, they would be recorded.

(And yes, I know I can have multiple entries in a WL, but it's still a bunch of clicks.)

9. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Okay I'll rephrase that for you:
    Other than pure laziness, there's nothing stopping anyone from creating an ARWL for the new Get Smart movie or for anything with Robert Conrad right now. There's no difference between picking something from a list and typing the words in yourself.

Fwiw, I've never experienced pain while entering data for a WL much less just choosing something for a WL from a list.

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
  11. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I'll give you credit. Your posts do a better than average job of being irritating. Consistently. :D

So from your POV, one's desire to be efficient=laziness.

/unsubscribe

12. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No, not when you say that you only have a couple of WL because you don't want to enter every letter of every word.

creating a better method = efficient
    I don't like typing everything in so I'll just settle for less than I want = LAZINESS
    ;)