active video output format

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by tattube, Dec 18, 2011.

1. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Hi all

Since the update to 14.9.2.2, I noticed that 'active video output format' shown in system information is 720p.
    I cannot say with any certainty that this started with the software update, as I do not look at sys info that often.

I have set both channels to programs that show resolution at 1080i, and still see 720p in sys info.

Can anyone explain what it is that I am seeing here, as I just don't understand it.

I have TPXL since Aug 2010, on a wireless connection, using SDUI 99% of the time.

EDIT: Just went back to sys info and "active video output format' now shows as 1080i....guess it's just a bit of lag time to update?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It used to be at the resolution of the channel you were viewing. So if it was a 720P channel it would show up as 720P and if it was a 1080i channel it would show up as 1080i.
    Since getting my Elite I changed it to only 1080i and 1080P output. So I also switched my other Premieres to that as well. To reduce the delay when switching between channels.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    When you view the resolution, lets say the current channel is 720p, then you change channels to a 1080i, the Info banner will report the 720p from the previous channel, until you call up the Info banner on screen again.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I guess I misread what the OP said. I was thinking about the resolution of screen when you hit the TiVo button.
    The banner resolution bug has been around for a very, very, very long time.

5. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Thank you both for the replies.

Happy Holidays to all

6. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    Also I think if you have a show recording it's aspect is the one which shows.

7. sakaike

sakaike Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Huntington...
    Aaron,
    I used to do this as well for the same reason (faster channel changing), but notice a distinct improvement in quality when I have my 50" Pio plasma doing the deinterlacing and scaling compared to the Premier.

Do you not notice this difference, and/or don't mind?

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    There is a difference when I have my DVDO DUO do the scaling, but at this point I've been watching so much BD content that all broadcast is not up to great standards anyway. Plus I do run my broadcast source through an Algolith Flea which helps clean up the noise, so that alone makes a big difference in the picture quality. At this point it's more important to me to be able to cycle through the four tuners, with two I didn't mind, but with four, if I go through a resolution change each time it will just take too long. And unfortunately this will be the case from any HD source as it re-syncs to the new resolution.