Activation Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by briconklin, Sep 9, 2007.

1. briconklin

briconklin New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Hi,

I apologize if this has been answered before- I searched around the forums and didn't see an answer though, so here is my question:

I bought a new Tivo S2DT from Best Buy and hooked it up yesterday. I have not activated my service yet (I wanted to make sure that it worked with my cable/tv setup before doing so). Anyways, the Tivo downloaded all of the program info and even let me set up season passes even though I have not activated it. When I used it today I got a message reminding me to activate it but it allowed me to "skip this message" and go to all of the other Tivo menus.

My question is, how long will the Tivo continue to work if I don't activate service? (is it just the 30 day money-back period or longer?) I have a $150 mail in rebate, but if the Tivo will work without being activated then I will just not send in the rebate since that would be the same price as a year pre-paid and I wouldn't be tied to a 12 month service contract.

Thanks for your help!

2. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Tivo gives a a one week grace period on brand new units. After that a subscription will be absolutely necessary.

3. briconklin

briconklin New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Thanks for the info :)

4. ZPrime

ZPrime New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Mayfield...
    Hate to dig up a slightly old thread, but I have a stupid question in a similar vein.

If I haven't yet signed up for a subscription, should I get firmware/software updates on the unit? I just got a THD, I'm going through initial setup and I want to make sure I get the latest firmware before my CableCards are installed. I tried forcing an update ("connect to the tivo service now") but it didn't do anything to my version numbers, even after I rebooted the Tivo.

5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo will update any TiVo that calls in, sub or not. Some software releases cover so many TiVos that they do limit how many a day they put out, then a non sub TiVo may have a long wait for the update.