Activation question when replacing broken TivoHD

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rcliff, Oct 29, 2011.

1. rcliff

rcliff Member

Jun 16, 2001
    New York
    I have a Tivo HD that broke and is month-to-month. I just bought a premiere and want to activate it. I logged into Tivo.com and see you can activate a new box but no way to obviously transfer the subscription to the new box. What is the easiest way to do this and get cheapest monthly price. I am a long term tivo customer and have multiple boxes.

Thanks,
    Cliff

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The answer depends on several things. However there is no way to transfer your TiVo HD's rate to a new Premiere via the web site. You can call and see if customer service will give you a deal but most have been told no to transferring a new Premiere into a lower cost subscription rate plan.

The following is what I believe you will be told:

If you are still paying the $12.95/mo subscription fee for the TiVo HD or have another TiVo with a full price subscription you would qualify for TiVo's Multi-Service Discount (MSD). The MSD rates for the Premiere are $14.99/mo or $399 for lifetime. ​

If you are no longer paying for a subscription on the TiVo HD (and have no other Tivos that you are paying or (paid in the case of lifetime) the full service rate on) the rates for the Premiere will be $19.99/mo or $499 for lifetime. ​

You should also note that if you currently qualify for a MSD rate on a Premiere ($14.99/mo) and at some point no longer have what is called a qualifying subscription on another TiVo, your Premieres monthly rate will increase to $19.99/mo.

Good Luck,

3. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    The easiest way is to just call Tivo Customer Service. Some of the stuff you think you should be able to do on the website can only be done via phone.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Something else to consider is to tell TiVo that you just got the Premiere and are getting ready to activate it but that you want to cancel the HD (don't tell them it's broken). They might offer you lifetime on it for $99. There are a couple of threads around here about various people who've gotten that deal under varying circumstances, mostly on HDs, but some even on S2s.

Once it's lifetimed it's worth fixing, and you probably only need to replace 1 to 3 capacitors in the power supply (likely the ones inconveniently tucked under the heatsink on the output side). You can probably get out for under $10 on parts and shipping.

Of course you can always fix it first and then try to get lifetime.

5. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    With the Premiere, TiVo changed the rules for transferring subscriptions. As others have said, your best bet is to call in.

6. rcliff

rcliff Member

Jun 16, 2001
    New York
    We'll after a couple of calls, no love and no transferring apparently. Had to get new sub for premiere for 14.95/mo. Hope these premieres are at least stable now. Time will tell. Now I have to figure out how to upgrade the drive. Thanks for all the tips :)

7. Nov 1, 2011 #7 of 11
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    on topic with a broken tivo, what if my premiere breaks out of warranty? they say they dont transfer lifetime to a new box but that seems a bit unfair to use a machine X months and then have it worthless...if you mail the box in will they transfer the lifetime to it? (discount my ability to replace the HD myself etc)

8. Nov 1, 2011 #8 of 11
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    After the warranty period (1 yr unless you purchased an extended warranty), there is nothing that requires TiVo to do anything for you as you purchased service for the life of the unit you purchased.

However TiVo's past policy has been to offer a replacement box for $150 that they would transfer the lifetime service too. If they will continue with the same unwritten policy is unknown.

9. Nov 1, 2011 #9 of 11
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Actually, within the past few years, they have charged a fee to get the lifetime transferred after a certain time too..

But if it is replaced via *extended warranty*, it will be transferred (free).

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Wanna sell that broke HD super cheap?

11. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i did fork over the 40 bucks for 3 years, i saw it as protecting my lifetime investment for that period at least regarding breakeven point. ...and if they will give me a refurb for 150 after that, and transfer the lifetime i guess that's 'saving' 500 bucks lol and still worth it