1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

activation question- $6.95/mo and $99 lifetime

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Gold51, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Gold51

Gold51 The slow road, has the most adventure.

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
    I have 2 premieres arriving later this week- one has a Tivo case # for $99 lifetime - it's a 2011 320gb box and the second has a $6.95/mo plan - its a 500gb box built in April 2013.
    My question is why one box has a lifetime offer and the other has a $6.95/mo offer? Might it be possible to get the $99 lifetime on the second box when I call to activate?
    I called on Monday to see what offer they would give me on a new Bolt- the answer was none. I told him I will leave my Series 2 (W/lifetime/2004 model) hooked up forever, now. I had tried to set it up last year, but my converter box must have been defective and I gave up- the second one worked OK, it just took a long time to do it's updates..
    I was complaining to the Representative that Tivo had never emailed me any offer at all, until about 2 weeks ago, when they sent me an offer for a refurb Roamio for OTA- I looked at my account and my email is still current. My wife and I plan to shut off our cable next month and use these two Tivos for OTA. I have a Roku, too.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You would be buying the Premieres used and the previous owner(s) had their subscription set by that. The monthly one, most likely, will not follow along if you bought it. Only Lifetime is transferable to new owner but you have to call Tivo to get it transferred (both buyer and seller must call, get case number from buyer Seller.)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I think it may follow. Call and ask for $99, if it was under service for 3 years, I think you'll get it.

4. Gold51

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
    Well, to elaborate what I was told, both Ebay sellers had active Tivo service and called to cancel- it appears that retention gave both owners a month or two to sell their boxes - accounts are still active, so I am transferring service to my account with no lapses. I paid $75 for the older box with the $99 Lifetime offer and $30 for the newer one with 500gb drive that has the $6.95 offer. I'm trying to remember what I paid for lifetime on my Tivo back in 2004- I am thinking it was $300. I don't know what monthly rate the previous owners were paying.- I do know that the $30 Tivo was only activated for 2 months by the last owner and due to a switch to Dish, it was no longer usable to the seller- that is when they gave him a low ball $6.95 rate for a new owner and the ability to recoup some of his money.

5. Gold51

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
    I was playing with my Series 2 after I got the converter working and new updates/program guide, (for OTA, this time) and I noticed a lot of shows I really liked had 2 thumbs down- like Hogan's Heroes and shows I don't care for, but my wife does had 2 thumbs up, hmm- I may be wrong, but in my mind using one new Tivo and a mini when husband and wife disagree on what shows they want to record, could be problematic. I was working back then and the wife appears to have made sure the 80hrs was better allocated to her viewing tastes.;)-
    So until, I can afford TWO new husband and wife Tivos, these Premiers will have to do.

6. Gold51

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
    24hrs later, I have the box now and the story has a new ending-- what the PI Tivo lady told the ebay seller 10 days ago was misleading (perhaps on purpose) on the $99 Lifetime offer-
    We ended up with 4 ref#s on this transfer!!
    A- absolutely do not tell the owner to cancel service so Tivo can transfer to you-- and THEN see if they will honor the $99 offer- Nope, didn't fall for that one-
    B-I paypal'd the $99 to the owner and had THEM pay for the Lifetime while it was still in their name- the offer from retention was to them, not me.
    C-Then they canceled service- except it doesn't cancel until the 29th when the month to month ends- and on the next day it switches to new Lifetime plan on that day.
    D- On the 30th, I can call back to Tivo and transfer to me- all approved in the notes of the past and a new ref# ready for the 30th. The last guy was in Colorado- he made sense.
    Now on box 2- he said, They take my credit card info and change the method of payment on the box to me- then they can do the acct transfer to my name- he said it's a work around to get me the $6.95 offer- and they will do it. Sheesh!! And I assume that new $6.95/mo plan starts on the end of the current payment period.

7. Gold51

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
    Well, I got Premiere box #2 activated today- and of course they asked for $14.95/mo, which I declined. Even after reading the ref # I gave him that showed them offering $6.95 to the owner , they wouldn't budge- so I called owner and he said something to them about reneging on their $6.95 offer
    (he has another tivo box ), so with a new ref # from him, the activation went off without a hitch and the email to me from Tivo confirmed the rate of $6.95. I have to call on Saturday to transfer the 1st box to me- the one with the $99 all-in plan.

Mikeguy likes this.
  8. Gold51

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
    The Tivo rep who talked to the seller the last time and got the 6.95 offer squared away for me, suggested that all buyers who run into a situation like mine, avail themselves of the "add caller" button and put the seller on a 3-way call with the Tivo rep. The representative implied that a 3-way call would expedite the activation process- which I interpret to mean, "cut out the Tivo re-activation BS"