Activation Date Includes Shipping Time

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Resist, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    So I ordered a new Premiere on Sept 22nd and Tivo put the activation date as Sept 23rd. According to the UPS shipping schedule, it won't arrive to my house until the 29th. I'm losing a week off the warranty due to the shipping time. So a customer takes advantage of Tivo's free shipping and gets penalized with up to a week less on the warranty.

Is it just me or is anyone else bothered by this?

2. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Not really. I doubt anyone at Tivo would fight with you about doing an in-warranty exchange as long as you pointed out that you didn't receive it until 7 days after the activation date.

Paranoid somethings going to go wrong with it?

3. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Not so much paranoid that the box will fail. I just like getting what I pay for. It just seems wrong that I'm losing some of my warranty while the box is in transit and I'm not even using it.

4. MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Ah. I doubt it would ever be an issue but good to know the date the warranty is considered to be starting. I'm almost a year out of warranty. If something goes wrong, I'm hosed.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    That is pretty standard practice. It could be broken in shipping. The warranty should start when it is shipped.

6. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    That isn't a legitimate reason to be activated so soon, because that type of damage isn't covered under the warranty anyway.

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Warranty almost always begins either at the date of purchase or the ship date. It isn't uncommon. Companies aren't going to deploy systems to verify shipping confirmations. Even those aren't very accurate. I don't know when you expect the warranty to start.

8. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Most warranties require a dated receipt to prove eligibility, and unfortunately, when you buy online, the date on the receipt is at the latest the shipping date.

This is true for everything you buy online and is something to keep in mind. If you're lucky, the manufacturer may give a short grace period to account for it.

9. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    May be best to understand all these type details before the purchase. It's all laid out in the terms.

10. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Tivo has proof of the UPS arrival date, because it's tracked. it wouldn't be hard for them to make that date the activation date.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Just get the TiVo extended warranty and you will be covered for three years. Well three years minus one week since it would still start from the date it was shipped.

I'm guessing all mine are similar since the 3 year warranty expires on 03/26/2013 but the activation date is 03/29/2010 which is the same date that they were shipped.

12. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    He still wouldn't be getting what he believes he's paid for.

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    How do they know who accepted the package? How do they know it is in the owners personal possession? It isn't uncommon for other people to sign for packages (aka apartment complexes, etc).

14. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Yea I can do this for another $40. But that's not even the point. My limited warranty was started 4 days ago and I haven't gotten the chance to use my new Tivo.

15. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

Good grief. If this really bothers you, refuse shipment.

16. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Yea, that will help. :rolleyes:

17. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I would think that TiVo would extend the warranty for a week without any problem if your problem happened in that 7 day period after you warranty ended, especially if you purchase the TiVo/warranty from TiVo itself. If one ordered this TiVo package because it was a good deal but than went on an extended vacation and the home sitter singed for the TiVo and it sat there for two months, you would have a loss of two months on your warranty, as that not TiVo problem.
    For all we know the warranty may start the day the TiVo first calls home.

18. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Well obviously then in this situation it's the customers fault. But I have been talking about a situation that is not my fault.

Well it seems most people are not concerned about this issue. I guess I'm a bit more anal about it, because I like to get what I pay for. And losing a week off the warranty is not getting what I paid for. Hopefully if there is a problem with the box, Tivo will honor an additional week as others here have suggested. I've just had such terrible experience with customer support in the past, that I'm skeptical. It's like pulling teeth to get them to do the right thing about anything. Love the product, hate the customer service.

19. wisehammer

wisehammer New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    You are right to be concerned. I returned the first 2 Premieres sent to me because of bugginess/consistent failures, and the second one they sent was a refurbished scratched up POS because I was 7 days out of the 30 day return window. That required escalation and delays up through 3 levels of supervisors before I was sent a new box that finally worked. I'm really soured on the entire Tivo experience- I've had a box since 2003 and wonderful experiences with it, but the fairytale ended with the Premiere. When this box fails, I will look for alternatives -seems Tivo missed the boat anyway by not anticipating how big streaming video would be - they keep playing catchup..

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I watcehd a streaming HD movie from netflix the other Day. I get the best quality from the TiVo because the TiVo is the only netflix device I have that send the native resolution output. So my own equipment can scale it and apply any noise reduction etc. Which provides a much better picture than any other netflix device is capable of with 720P Netflix encodes.