1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Activating new Tivo in Omaha (Cox) -- resolved, but not fun

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by decaffeinated, Jul 13, 2018 at 8:20 PM.

1. decaffeinated

decaffeinated New Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Bought a 2nd Tivo for a relative in Omaha, NE. New unit was a Tivo Vox Bolt. The new UI is quite unpleasant...but that's a different issue.

Sooooooo, I trot off to a Cox Solutions Center and pickup a Tuning Adapter and cable card. No wiring diagram or setup instructions are included with the TA. I hookup the TA based on the connector labels on the unit (mistake) and install the cable card. I call Cox tech support for cable card activation and the fun begins.

1st call: no joy (activation fails), only channel 1 is authorized for the relative's account. Tivo does not "see" the TA.

2nd call: New tech employee politely establishes that I'm an idiot and that the tuning adapter is incorrectly hooked up. With the tech's help, I correctly wire up the TA and Tivo now knows that the TA is present. Cablecard activation is attempted again. No joy.

3rd call (made after reading about activation issues online and possible solutions): New tech support employee tries activation again. No joy.

4th call: New Support tech says that he's worked thru activation issues for a lot of customers and he gives it a go. No joy. I've spent 3-4 hours on the phone at this point. The tech and I start to think I have a bad cable card. I request a truck roll and he agrees. I request that the responding tech come with more than one spare cable card.

Two days later, on-site Cox tech employee arrives. This is the third Tivo he's seen in three years of employment. He arrives with one spare cable card.

I show the tech the Tivo cablecard diagnostic menus and he calls the Cox cable card support dept and they troubleshoot the problem. No joy. Now we really think it's a bad cable card. He calls for an additional tech to come to the house just in case we need to go thru a card swap party (the additional tech also has one cable card in his possession). The first on-site tech and I chat a lot in between troubleshooting phone calls to Cox and I can tell that activating Tivo's is not a fun experience for Cox employees.

The 2nd on-site tech arrives and before we start swapping cards, the first tech presciently escalates the activation problem to 2nd Tier cable card support at Cox. Tier 2 support tells the tech, "We know what the problem is. The 'hit' signals (for activation) that are being sent to the cable card are not 'authorized' on our end, so they aren't touching the customer's card."

Tier 2 fixes the authorization issue, activates the cable card, and now Tivo works.

Soooooo, it took 4 phone calls (one is my fault) and a truck roll to activate a cable card in Omaha. Yee haw. Moral of the story, if activation doesn't work and your TA is hooked up correctly, immediately request Cox Tier 2 support.

Hope this helps someone else dealing with Cox.

krkaufman, PSU_Sudzi and Mikeguy like this.
  2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Do note, if you weren't aware: you can easily roll back to the earlier Gen3 UI. Best, for some users, to do so sooner rather than later, as you lose your box's recordings in the process.

How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1

decaffeinated likes this.
  3. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

but no voice control and if someone its the mic button on the remote you will get hydra again

4. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

what cox number did you call the local or the 800 number on the cox instructions?

5. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    It would be nice if a box had a "Do not allow Hydra upgrade" setting, wouldn't it? A mechanical solution: use a non-VOX remote, such as a nice Slide Pro remote (this gives an excuse to upgrade). ;)

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I'm fairly certain that you have to affirm the choice to upgrade after pushing that button.

7. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    That's what I've read here as well (and it may even be multiple times that one has to confirm). Of course, there's always Murphy's law . . . . ;)

8. decaffeinated

decaffeinated New Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Local number. That doesn't usually mean much. I've called the local Cox number for other support issues and wound up speaking with an employee based in Louisiana.

aristoBrat likes this.
  9. decaffeinated

decaffeinated New Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Thx for that! My Omaha user is not upset about the change in UI. But man, if Tivo rolls that into my personal gear (a standard Bolt and a Roamio), I'll be ticked. Just off the top of my head, I noticed:
    • The rewind button doesn't double as a "go back" button within the menu system? WTH?
    • Where is the button on the remote that pops up a list of programs shown on each tuner? Where did that functionality go? Did I miss something?
    • And the new "guide" UI is, IMO, a big step back.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Or a cheap-o RCN RF Remote ... with the button layout of the orig Roamio RF remote (and v2 Mini and pre-VOX BOLTs) plus a bonus 'On Demand' button ... that would actually be useful in a Cox environment where an on-demand app for the TiVo exists.

See: TiVo Roamio Mini Bolt Remote Control -Used- RF IR RCN Cable TV | eBay

$10 seems worth it to eliminate the accidental upgrade back to Hydra (though the 'Get New Experience' app will still offer a path for the unwary).

11. ajwees41

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

the 1-800 number is better at cable card issues

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Even if you explicitly request Hydra via the upgrade app you have to watch a video and agree twice.

I hate to ask, and it may be off topic, but does a Bolt VOX work with a regular IR/RF remote in RF mode?

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You have to use the Back button now and right arrow will show you what's on the other tuners now (check under Quickview section in the document below).

https://explore.tivo.com/content/dam/tivo/explore/how-to/TiVoExperience_VG.pdf

Scott

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes. (Based on my experience using a RF remote with a BOLT ... which is identical to the BOLT VOX hardware. The only hardware difference between the previously-marketed BOLT and the BOLT VOX is the included remote control.)

JoeKustra likes this.