? Activating a used Unit & card ?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ani26, Sep 18, 2007.

1. ani26

ani26 New Member

Sep 18, 2007

Advertisements

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to get a used HDVR2 unit and card activated on my directv account? I've called and spoken to a CSR at directv and have gotten nothing but the run-around.. first they said they cant activate it bcz they no longer support tivo, then it was that the card isnt in my name.. etc etc.

I know it can be done, i've been reading forums all day! :) This unit doesnt have a RID# and is matched (married?) to the card i have (I bought them from a friend.)

CAN ANyone suggest what i might say to the CSRep at directv to get them to just activate it? An approach? (you'd think they'd be happy to be getting extra $$ from me each month) :)

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Directv supports TiVo thats why they charge you 4.99 a month for every TiVo receiver. They no longer supply TiVos. That is up to you. You cannot activate an old card they have to sell you a new card. If the CSR does not know how to do it have them transfer you to a supervisor who can look up the number of the department that issues new cards.

3. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Talk to a retention CSR. Call the regular DirecTV number and say "Cancel Service", that should get you through to someone in the retention department. They usually know what they are doing and can hook you up easily. There are two stipulations in your case;

1) It will be very difficult (but maybe not impossible) to activate this box if you aren't already a DirecTV customer. They don't like to let you open an account with used equipment. If you're already a customer, then it shouldn't be a problem.

2) The friend you got the Tivo from needs to have de-activated the box from his account, and have no balance due to DirecTV.

As long as those two things are true, it should be no problem for a CSR who knows what the hell they are doing to activate it on your account.

4. 23goober23

23goober23 DTV CSR

Jan 19, 2005
    if u dont tell them ur activating a used unit with a used card the system doesnt know... or atleast it didnt used to... i worked there up until a year ago.... and unless the agent actually searched the card # or it was still active on another account it didnt used to show up....so if u already have service u could try just trying to activate it..... if they do make you buy a card, there is actually a special dept for that :) they work at the same site as the retention ppl

5. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....

Advertisements

Thanks for the info 23goober23 very interesting. :up:

6. ani26

ani26 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    thank you 23goober23