Activating a Hughes DirecTivo on another account

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Phillip Chapman, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Phillip Chapman

Phillip Chapman New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    We have a Hughes SD DirecTivo that we'd like to give to a relative to be activated on their new DirecTV account. I've read here that activating older DirecTivo's is not possible since these DVR's do not have an RID number on the box.

My question is, we do have an RID number assigned to this Hughes DirecTivo receiver on-line even though there is no RID number on the back of the box. If this RID number is used to activate the Hughes DirecTivo will a csr accept this and actually activate the older DirecTivo DVR?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Which model Hughes? If there is a separate RID line shown in the system info screen, then DirecTV will allow activation on another account. If not, then no. The CSR will probably insist on your relative paying for a new access card.

3. Phillip Chapman

Sep 9, 2003
    It's a Hughes SD-DVR40 that we would like to deactivate from our account and activate on another account.

Thanks in advance for the help.

4. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I think that is a RID model.

5. Phillip Chapman

Sep 9, 2003
    So if I'm reading between the lines correctly, you suspect that this DirecTivo can be deactivated from our account and successfully activated on another DirecTV account?

After doing further research, even though there is no RID number on the back of the box, it appears a RID number is tied with the chip which will hopefully allow this Hughes DirecTivo to still be activated.

6. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, that's what I think is correct.

7. Admdata

Admdata New Member

May 9, 2010
    Greeley PA

yes the SD-DVR40 is a RID box, if you go under the system info menu option you can get the rid# and give that to directv and deactive the unit and reactive the unit in the other location and other account

8. Phillip Chapman

Sep 9, 2003
    Thank you both. That's great news. If there are any issues, I'll report back here.