Activate with all channels restricted?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by CallMeBob, May 19, 2006.

1. CallMeBob

CallMeBob Member

Jun 15, 2005

Advertisements

I was curious, is there a way to activate a HD Tivo with D* for just the Tivo service and no channels?

To clarify, I have an HR10-250 that I bought a year and a half ago. A couple of months ago I changed to cable because I didn't want to have a two year commitment when I added some more recievers. Unfortunatley, my cable provider dosen't have a couple of our HD locals yet due to a fight over compensation. Currently I use my HR10 as an ATSC tuner only, but I can't 'Tivo' the locals. I wanted to hook this up for just my local channels. I was thinking that maybe I could add this reciever to my sister's account who lives a few miles away. What I wanted to know is if I can have this reciever activated on her account, but have D* restrict the channels so that all I receive is the guide and the Tivo service? This way I would not be stealing their cable channels. Then I could just put it in my rack, not hooked to a phone line, until my cable provider gets the HD locals straight.

2. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    You should be able to lock the channels with the Parental Controls feature.

3. CallMeBob

CallMeBob Member

Jun 15, 2005

That's an idea. I'm not looking to steal anything, just unlock the features that I paid $1000 for. I have no interest in the D* channels in the least. I just figure that this would be a more honest way than adding the reciever to my sister's acct, and just moving the box into my setup with all her channels. I could easily do this and D* would never know because without a phone line they can't track the thing, but I'm trying to be more honest (or at least somewhat honest) and still get some function out of the box.

4. Dirac

Dirac New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Florida
    That's probably your best bet, and just give her the $5 a month, plus the DVR fee if she doesn't currently have any on her account. Just realize you are technically breaking their terms of service, but I admire your trying to abide by the spirit of the rule.

5. CallMeBob

CallMeBob Member

Jun 15, 2005

Advertisements

She already has two DVRs and is going to stay with D* for a few years so I figure really no harm no foul. Again, I don't want to get her in trouble and I don't want "steal" the satellite channels. Am I correct that D* won't really know anything as long as I don't hook up the box to my phone line?

6. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    If you active this DVR on your sisters account and use it at your place it is considered theft of service.

7. CallMeBob

CallMeBob Member

Jun 15, 2005

Exactly what would I be stealing? I can get the guide for free by just hooking it back up to my dish. The service, let's be honest, is not really Tivo service due to the fact that it's very crippled and Tivo dosen't see any money out of it. If I can do what I am asking about, meaning restricing the D* channels, then I'm not stealing anything.

8. Dirac

Dirac New Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Florida
    Probably just the fact that DirecTV won't care if you have the channels removed from your list or not, the fact that you can still tune to them is what they would consider theft of service.