Actiontec wcb6200Q wifi extender no moca light

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ektimmer, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Aug 7, 2016 #1 of 57
    ektimmer

ektimmer New Member

Mar 5, 2016

Advertisements

I have a Tivo bolt, two minis, Arris surfboard sbg 6782-ac cable modem/router.
    POE is installed, Holland moca splitters, all new coax cable.
    Network is solid, everthing listed above is straight up moca installation.
    I purchased an Actiontec wcb6200Q wifi extender. there is an available coax outlet in the middle of the living room where I want to install it, but no matter where I put it, no moca light and no internet on the Actiontec, purchased a second 6200q just in case the first was faulty, same-same, no moca light , no internet. Installed the 6200 next to the 6782 and patched them together with Ethernet, the extender was able to wifi to the internet.

Now: Talked with both Motorola and Actiontec, this was back and forth deal but to no avail, there is still no solution. Actiontec stated I need to install an ecb6200 moca adapter to fix the issue. Why? when everthing is already a moca device.

I notice the 6782 is running the moca network at 1150 Mhz, if I try swithing to scan or any other frequency the TiVo system goes down. Can this have anything to do with it?

Can anybody help me, I feel it is something that needs to get set properly in the 6200Q but Actiontec tech support says no and they will not help with the issue anymore uless I get the bridge. Are we missing something simple here?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  2. Aug 7, 2016 #2 of 57
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    I have a couple questions first. How did you configure your Tivo DVR to "connect to a MoCA network" or "create a MoCA network"? Use the "connect" setting on the Tivos.
    Temporarily, power off your Tivos. If you can set the MoCA channel on the sbg 6782-ac to "auto" and then first power up your Actiontec WCB6200Q and see if you can get a MoCA connection. If so, then power on your Tivos and see if they will also connect.
    I can't tell by looking at the online user manual if you can choose "auto" for the MoCA channel on the 6782 for certain. If that option is not available, try setting it to the highest channel, then reboot the Actiontec, if no luck, try the next lowest and so on. If you get a MoCA connection somewhere in the process, start powering up your Tivos and check them.
    I do know that the Actiontec network extender will work with other adapters including MoCA 1.1 adapters, I just re-tested one of mine but I currently have standard MoCA 2.0 adapters right now. You only would need one of the Actiontec Bonded MoCA adapters if you want to maximize the speeds to and from your extender.
    Let me know how you make out.
    EDIT: I currently have my setup with the Yitong MoCA 2.0 adapters I got off of Amazon, but I can switch one out and put in a MoCA 1.1 adapter if we can't figure out what the issue is.....I am thinking it is something on your Motorola gateway going in though.

3. Aug 7, 2016 #3 of 57
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    First, a quick note re: the MoCA equipment listed:
    This shouldn't affect the ability of the devices to interconnect using MoCA, but is something to keep in mind if/when you get around to analyzing the relative throughput between MoCA devices/links. (more)

-----

Bottom line, you are correct that the WCB6200Q should be able to connect to your MoCA network without having to use the additional adapter suggested by Actiontec. That said, I have a few questions to help understand your setup.

On the configuration front...
    • From your description, it sounds like the Arris SBG6782-AC is configured to create your MoCA network (i.e. with MoCA checked as "Enabled" in its MoCA config page)...?

• ... and all the TiVo devices are configured to "Connect using MoCA." Correct?

• Can you verify whether "Privacy" was enabled in the SBG6782-AC's MoCA configuration page?
      [​IMG]
    • Have you verified that the WCB6200Q is using the latest firmware version (if applicable), and have you reset the WCB6200Q to factory default configuration?
    On the connectivity front...
    • How many rooms are involved with the above setup, and are any of the above devices in the same room? (Listing which devices are in which rooms would be useful.)

• Where is the PoE MoCA filter installed?

• You stated in regards to the WCB6200Q, "no matter where I put it, no moca light and no internet on the Actiontec." Did you temporarily try the WCB6200Q in place of a TiVo Mini, removing the coax line from the Mini and connecting the coax line, instead, to the WCB6200Q, in order to test the WCB6200Q in a known-good MoCA location?

Attached Files:

4. Aug 7, 2016 #4 of 57
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    p.s. Regarding this test you described...
    Rather than connecting the WCB6200Q and SBG6782 via an Ethernet cable, did you try using a coax splitter and feeding each device via an output of the splitter (i.e. with no other cables strung between them)?

5. Aug 7, 2016 #5 of 57
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

p.p.s. Lastly, just to be clear, no Ethernet cable is connected to the BOLT. Correct?

6. Aug 7, 2016 #6 of 57
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If it wasn't obvious, Actiontec's documentation for the WCB6200Q states that it should work with routers supporting MoCA:
    Also, see the WCB6200Q User Manual for details on how to access its configuration UI, including how to reset to factory defaults, check/upgrade firmware version, customize MoCA settings, etc.

7. Aug 7, 2016 #7 of 57
    ektimmer

ektimmer New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    ok guys we have tried everything you suggested, but...
    The TiVo bolt was creating the moca network. We changed that, just joined the moca network with the channels set to auto, We went through all the channels on the 6782 and powered down the extender each time, no moca light. we then set the 6782 back to scan. TiVo network still working fine.

The 6200 has been plugged into a mini outlet and then split right at the 6782, no moca.

The POE is installed on the main incoming cable on the inlet to a two way splitter, one of those outlets goes to the 6782 and the other goes to the inlet of a 4-way splitter then those outlets run to various outlets in the house. The cable company "Cable One" wants the modem on that first splitter which kinda makes sense. The cable installation is all new but I did have to replace their 1000 Mhz broadband splitters with the 1675 Mhz splitters. The Tivo system was running fine even on the 1000 Mhz splitters, it was running @ 1150 when the TiVo was the moca network.

I have a network diagram in pdf, just need to figure out how to get it up into here.

8. Aug 7, 2016 #8 of 57
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You can attach documents to your posts using the 'Manage Attachments' button, down in the 'Additional Options' section when you're composing a post. However, your description of your network should suffice, as it is simple and configured as is typically recommended, including location of the PoE MoCA filter and splits.

Physical coax connectivity doesn't sound like your issue.

Including resetting the WCB6200Q to factory defaults and confirming it's on the latest firmware? Have you reviewed the MoCA configuration settings for the WCB6200Q via its UI?

Also, MoCA on the SBG6782 should be disabled if you are having the BOLT create your MoCA network; however, if the Arris is establishing your MoCA network...
    • there shouldn't be an Ethernet cable connected to the BOLT
    • you should disable the "Privacy" setting in the SBG6782's MoCA config page (or you'll need to ensure that security is setup on each MoCA device)

9. Aug 7, 2016 #9 of 57
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    On second thought, your network diagram might be worth a look, to see if there's something different from what's been described.

10. ektimmer

ektimmer New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    the pdf file is too big, will not allow me to attach it

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Argh. Can you screenshot it and attach the JPG?

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Though I remain more interested in feedback on the latter half of post #8, above.

13. ektimmer

ektimmer New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Got it up and running! explanation to follow.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A quick correction to an earlier post, unrelated to resolving your basic MoCA connectivity issues for the WCB6200Q.

On reviewing the documentation for the WCB6200Q (link), it appears that it supports "Bonded" MoCA 2.0, and so could double the bandwidth of a standard MoCA 2.0 adapter, if it were paired with another Bonded MoCA 2.0 adapter acting as the MoCA-Ethernet bridge to the router LAN.

My earlier comment, corrected:
    So, the max WCB6200Q-to-router LAN bandwidth would be one of the following, depending on which device you setup as the MoCA-Ethernet bridge:
    100. Mbps : Actiontec ECB2500C (MoCA 1.1 adapter limited by Fast Ethernet port)
    170+ Mbps : SBG6782-AC (w/ internal MoCA 1.1 bridge)
    400+ Mbps : TiVo BOLT (standard MoCA 2.0 bridge w/ Gigabit Ethernet port)
    400+ Mbps : Actiontec ECB6000 (standard MoCA 2.0 adapter with Gigabit Ethernet port)
    800+ Mbps : Actiontec ECB6200 (Bonded MoCA 2.0 adapter with Gigabit Ethernet port)​
    Assuming, that is, the WCB6200Q can ever be convinced to function properly.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  15. ektimmer

ektimmer New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    The important specifics:
    1. Set the bolt to "connect using moca" and "auto channel". power down.
    2. The 6782: disable privacy, set operational frequency to scan.
    3. Power the entire network down including the 6782.
    4. power up the 6782.
    5. power up the 6200q next to the 6782 just as instructed, pair them, then move the 6200q to its desired location and power it up. give them extra time for the moca network to get established.
    6. Power up the bolt, you may have to go back to the network settings and connect using moca.
    7. power up the minis. connect using moca.

These are the problems we experienced:

1. The bolt was set to "use this dvr to create a moca network. this locks the operational frequency of the moca network not allowing the 6200q to get into the network. therefore the order above is very important. The moca network of the 6782 and the 6200q needs to be established first, then the Tivo system will just lock in where it needs to. It seems that having the 6782 set to scan is very important also.

2. Ensure the privacy of the 6782 is disabled, the 6200q seems to not recognize that.

Awesome guys!

I hate to say it but the Actiontec tech support is really sub standard when it came to my issue, rude, short and giving the wrong advice.

16. ektimmer

ektimmer New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    This is my moca network diagram.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Great info; thanks.

What of the above differed from your original attempt(s)? (Or was it only the BOLT MoCA setting and the gateway's MoCA privacy setting?)

Actually, configuring the BOLT with "Use this DVR to create a MoCA network" does more than that, it instructs the BOLT to establish a MoCA network, which your gateway was already doing. This setting should only be used on the BOLT when it is the only device bridging between your Ethernet LAN and your coax lines, and you need the BOLT to act as your MoCA bridge.

I'm surprised you didn't have more problems than what you reported, if MoCA was also enabled on the gateway. (Or did you not ever have an Ethernet cable connected to the BOLT?)

Had MoCA privacy been enabled on the gateway?

Did you ever have MoCA completely disabled on the gateway? (i.e. with the "MoCA" "Enabled" box unchecked?)

Regarding the MoCA channel setting on the gateway, I think you'll find you could set any channel you want, especially with those upgraded splitters; however, you might need to power down all your MoCA clients to get them to reset to the new address. (Assuming each MoCA client is set to "Auto" channel.) And don't disregard the value of your having powered-down all your MoCA devices, as doing this, alone, has been the solution to some past MoCA hiccups.

18. ektimmer

ektimmer New Member

Mar 5, 2016
    yes privacy was enabled
    no there was no Ethernet cable on the bolt
    and the bolt was set improperly to creating its own network.

When the bolt was controlling the network, it had the modem locked in at 1150 MHz, if we switched it to scan or any other channel then the TiVo network would shut down, so the bolt seemed to have control as long as the frequency was set to 1150 with the modem moca enabled also.

your right it could have been one or the other or both (privacy enabled or moca control on both devices.

We did have it set up with just a splitter only between the two (6782 and the 6200q) and then tried each channel one at a time and they never did hook up, but privacy was enabled the whole time. so maybe it was the privacy setting all along.

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI... If a MoCA-capable TiVo DVR* is networked as a MoCA client only, as in the case of your BOLT in the Living Room (per the diagram), you can use its otherwise unused Ethernet port to extend wired networking to other Ethernet-capable devices... a single device, or multiple, if the BOLT is connected to a network switch. Further, a wireless access point could be connected to the BOLT, in this way, if the location would be suitable for providing additional wireless coverage for the residence.
    * NOTE: This technique applies to the 4-tuner Premieres, the 6-tuner Roamios and the BOLT -- but NOT the Minis. It only works for the TiVo DVRs capable of creating a MoCA network; that is, the TiVo devices capable of bridging between MoCA and Ethernet.​

What this means for your setup is that the WCB6200Q may not have been needed, if you had some other spare/unused router or wireless access point that you could have connected to your Living Room BOLT's Ethernet port -- assuming the device met your wireless access needs.

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Thanks for the followup on the solution, ektimmer. All too often posters run-off once their problems are resolved, leaving the final solution and root cause of issues a mystery.