Account Status - 11: Evaluation

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by stoogie, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Sep 3, 2005 #1 of 61
    stoogie

stoogie New Member

Sep 3, 2005
    Hi,

Have been lurking the forum for a while, but now have reason to post...

My Thomson Tivo has changed status, from being full-on account setup lifetime payment etc to 11: Evaluation... :eek:

Has anything changed with what "lifetime" means>

Did a test call, and restarted the box, but either has fixed the Account Status... :mad:

Any pointers?

Cheers,

.\/.artin

2. Sep 3, 2005 #2 of 61
    GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    Odd. Give customer services a call, but with it being labor day weekend in the US it might take a few days.

3. Sep 4, 2005 #3 of 61
    bigwold

bigwold Sedentary Member

Jun 4, 2003
    Surrey/Susse...
    One of mine has changed as well, from 'good standing' to evaluation.

4. Sep 4, 2005 #4 of 61
    digital_S

digital_S New Member

May 15, 2002
    Kent/Scotlan...
    Wonder if it's a punishment, for not posting ;) Just hope my account doesnt do the same! *worries*

5. Sep 4, 2005 #5 of 61
    GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    Hmmm so has one of my TiVo's! I'll report it direct to TiVo then, looks like a fault.

6. Sep 5, 2005 #6 of 61
    stoogie

stoogie New Member

Sep 3, 2005
    Phew!

I thought it was just me ... :rolleyes:

Sorry you have the problem, but glad to hear its not unique to yours truly!

It still seems to be working OK, but the TV GUide is up the shoot, with grey channels and wierd ordering - no doubt something to do with the evaluation status...

BTW, in case its important, my machine is 100% unmodded... Its one of "those" tasks to get the wireless etc setup... just never got around to it... :cool:

I will hang fire on calling it in as you are going direct (though I am happy to call it in too if it makes sense / helps!) and look forward to the feedback from TiVo via this forum?

Cheers,

.\/.artin

7. Sep 5, 2005 #7 of 61
    mini__me

mini__me New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Both my lifers are 11 also, though I haven't noticed anything wrong with the guidedata...

8. Sep 5, 2005 #8 of 61
    DaWo

DaWo New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Same happened to me.
    Spotted it last night and was beginning to panic!!!

9. Sep 5, 2005 #9 of 61
    6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    North West, UK
    Mine has not done a call for a day or two, have just unlugged the net cable to keep it staus 5, just in case the guide data is silly as someone has mentioned.

10. GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    Guide data is fine on mine too so suspect that is a different issue.

I've logged the issue with TiVo in the USA so hopefully it will get resolved once they come back from their long (Labor day) weekend.

11. aerialplug

aerialplug Serious TiVo User

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    One of the TiVos here at work has changed to 11:Evaluation last week. It dialled in for the first time since May so I initially suspected it was something to do with that.

I immediately phoned TiVo to ask what it meant, worried that the account had expired because it had been left too long without dialing up (something that's happened to one of our other demo TiVos) - I was told that because the TiVo was originally given to us prior to launch as a demonstration model, it officially was an evaluation model rather than a lifetime subscription, but practically there was no difference as far as subscription was concerned.

Now that I hear that others have had the same happen, I'm not so sure.

[edit: some appalling english corrected!]

12. bigwold

bigwold Sedentary Member

Jun 4, 2003
    Surrey/Susse...
    That might explain my change as well as I'd always thought it was some sort of demo model.

13. jeremy Parsons

jeremy Parsons Very Advanced Member

Jan 6, 2002
    Surrey
    My First Tivo has the dreaded status 11 - all seems to be working ok at the moment , tivo 2 still has a status of 5 lets hope this is fixed before our evaluation expires!

14. GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    Note it isn't necessary for everyone to post "me too" - TiVo are looking into this now :)

15. stoogie

stoogie New Member

Sep 3, 2005
    > That might explain my change as well as I'd always thought it was
    > some sort of demo model.

Not here.. bought from John Lewis...

.. and if the evaluation is 4 years, then I am surprised(!) :rolleyes:

16. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    North West, UK
    Has this been fixed yet.

I have not let tivo do a call for about 5 days now, just in case.

17. GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    Not yet but I don't see any reason not to call anyway.

18. GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    TiVo have confirmed this state is harmless, and the boxes are still lifetime subscribed.

It should be rectified eventually.

19. mini__me

mini__me New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Fair enough, I'm happy with that :)

20. GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    Unfortunately TiVo have now changed their mind on this matter over what I originally said.

They now believe that any boxes currently on status 11-Evaluation are on the correct status.

This status means that the user has a lifetime subscription, but they did not pay TiVo any cash for that subscription. In the US this would mean your account wouldn't be valid for multiple subscriber discounts etc as it was a free account (in the UK we don't have such offers).

I'm told this is a cosmetic issue only and the service received by the user is the same, though this old thread has a slightly more worrying description about this status: http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/history/topic/137953-1.html

All those that have moved to this status have not actually moved. Previously the system masked this status for UK users and mapped it silently to status "3-Account in good standing", however really you were still on status 11 as far as TiVo HQ were concerned. Now the UK subscription server has merged with the US one this masking is no longer occuring.

TiVo have said that if anyone believes they have paid cash for either a lifetime or monthly subscription, and are on status 11, if they can prove that they should not be on this status then they will change it. You'll need to phone customer services.

I suspect from what some at least have said that they have ex-demo boxes and have paid for a lifetime subscription. Those users should not be on status 11, nor should anyone who has paid for a subscription. If you received your subscription as a free gift, or did not pay for a subscription, then status 11 is the correct status. If you bought your TiVo second hand with subscription, then I guess you can't be sure exactly what the previous owner did, or how they got the subscription.