Accessing SA8300 recorded programs

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by megory, Jul 11, 2007.

1. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...

Advertisements

I have fiddled around and am finally actually watching a recorded show on my SA8300 -- but I'm not sure how I got here!

Is there a usual way to connect to the SA? A best way?

And is there a good (easy) way to watch them?

Will I be able to watch them when recording on Tivo?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I know nothing about cable company DVRs. But, I bet that there is a button on the remote that brings up a menu. Didn't your cable company leave any kind of manual?

Here's a forum where all kinds of DVRs are discussed.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=100

3. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    So sorry, I was so unclear!

I have a TiVo Series 2. I have just reinstalled it and have begun working with it. It is connected to the cable through a SA8300. While I'm pretty expert at using my SA and used to be pretty good at using my TiVo, I never had TWO DVRs running at the same time. In the past, I just had a cable box, not a dvr cable box.

I accidentally discovered that I can access my old recordings on the DVR, and that they continue to record all my DVR seasons passes. So, in essence, I can record TWO shows on my DVR and ONE show on my TiVo and watch . . . I dunno.

This requires a lot of trial and error to figure out how I got to the DVR programming (maybe through Live TV -- but it didn't seem to work all the time (sigh).

And I figured other Tivo Experts with both TiVo and SA8300 would have developed a protocol for doing this.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    How do you have the TiVo connected to your SA 8300?

There isn't anyway to watch/record 3 digital channels at one time because you only have 2 digital cable tuners (they are in the 8300). If you are sending an analog cable signal by coax to your TiVo then you could watch/record any 2 channels on your SA 8300 and one unscrambled analog channel on your TiVo.

Thanks,

Andy

5. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...

Advertisements

That makes sense! Okay, so I'll just have more to choose from, eh?

FWIW, this is NOT a digital unit, it's analog. (Sadly, my HDTV died as was installing my Tivo on my analog TV. So I do have a 8300HD recording but not being viewed <g>)

So, I'm experimenting . . . I think I get to 8300 via the TIVO Live TV button -- but I'm not sure that is the best way. Also, as I view a progam recorded on SA8300, TiVo is recording! In fact, as an experiment, as I watch 8300 I'm recording that show (copying, in essence) to Tivo.

Do you know, is there usual protocol to watch SA8300 through TiVo . . . ?

Thanks!

PS THREE remotes is making my head spin!

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Using two DVRs together is counterintuitive. You waste the use of one tuner. I'd keep the two units separate. The 8300 recording the hD cable and then use the TiVo to record the analog cable. Connect them to the TV using different inputs.

7. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Thanks for your intuition Jim. Is that the protocol that works best for you with your SA8300, TiVo and analog TV?

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I don't have a cable box DVR. I'm a multiple DirecTV TiVo user and they are all connected separately to my TV using different input. If I did have your situation, I'd connect as I indicated in my previous post.

9. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Thanks so much Jim, I really appreciate your wanting to contribute.

But I'm really eager for feedback from people who have the SA3000 and Tivo hooked together and to find out what protocol they use and their input about their setups.

And let me reemphasize to those SA8300 (just in case it matters) I'm using an old analog television with a Humax Tivo and a SA 8300.

Thanks so much.

10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    megory:

I understand your desire to connect SA 8300 to your TiVo. I have my dishnetwork 510 DVR connected to my Humax TiVo for when the 510s hard drive gets full and it works fine, the TiVo controls channel changing on the 510 with minimum issues. Most of the time my TiVos are just recording OTA but there are times I want/need to get some stuff off the satellite because the 510's hard drive is full. However I do not play back stuff the 510 has recorded through my TiVo, both the 510 and the TiVo have separate connections to my TV.

I do not know if a TiVo can control a SA 8300 to change channels or not - is it working for you? As far as the setup goes I would connect an analog cable line to your TiVos coax in and then connect the SA 8300 to the S or composite video connections. During setup you would tell TiVo you have analog cable and a set top box (STB) for digital cable.

Again I would have the SA 8300 and the TiVo both (separately) connected to your TV. If I wanted to watch something the SA 8300 record I would only use the SA 8300 and not run it through the TiVo.

Good Luck,

11. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Thanks so much!

MyTiVo IS connected to the internet through my SA8300 which is both my cable tuner and DVR. The television and the DVR are analog.

I have three remotes that work: TiVo, TV, and DVR.

From more fiddling this morning, I know that I can view the TV without TiVo either on the TV or through the DVR as before--and more, because I didn't access the TV without the DVR previously (no need -- records 2 channels while watching one).

If I play one of the shows recorded on the DVR, I find that it is being automatically recorded in the Tivo buffer. Further, I can record whatever I am playing back albeit with a different name (came up with a spanish program name). When I play back the TiVo thus recorded, I have a play-by-play of everything I do on the TiVo--each click of the remote, changing channels, looking at the program guide, etc.

I'm still not sure how I get to the TV/SADVR. I spend a lot of time switching remotes.

Next week I will check how many recordings I can do at one time while viewing live TV <g> and report back. Surprisingly, since my research on the forum didn't come up with analog DVR info, I figure I'm the first person to fiddle around with all these complications.

I didn't plan to keep the DVR for long and incur this expense, but I want to see how it works this time around. My high pixel needs are actually quite low.

I am hooked up per TiVo's instructions--pretty much DVR>cable>TV with RCA cables and finally got it so they are all working together, so at this point I'm probably not likely to change the configuration.

I'm hearing that I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what or why. So far this works.

I really thought gazillions of people did this! I didn't realize it was such a rarity.

I really appreciate your input.

Regards

12. TooVoo

TooVoo New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    I have a recorder too AND Tivo. I don't know how to see Tivo recordings and my old recordings on my cable box.

13. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You need to use the two units separately. Each connected to the TV using different inputs.

As I stated above, it is counterintuitive to try to connect two DVRs together as described.

14. TooVoo

TooVoo New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    I see you do not have cable, but DirecTV and other equipment. Intuition is not helpful here.

15. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    All I'm trying to say is why would you want to have one DVR record another one? You lose functionality that way.

BTW, intuition has a lot to do with it. :) It's called thinking.

16. TooVoo

TooVoo New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    I was just using your own words while paraphrasing: you said you knew nothing about it and had no experience because your system was totally different, but that you had intuition about it. What you now call thinking that you formerly called intuition, I call your gut feeling based on vibes.

And it's clear you don't understand the question, and don't have knowledge of the subject, yet that doesn't prevent you from jumping in!

With all those posts, surely you have knowledge to contribute in many areas, but not about systems you don't have and have never used, so not useful here.

17. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'll follow up on my post on the other side of this thread (the other side should be locked and closed BTW)

I can't figure out why anyone would want to daisy chain 2 DVRs, it just makes things more complicated and doesn't add any positives. Normally you would have a cable line split, then head into each DVR, and each DVR gets it's own input into the TV, if you don't have enough inputs and you're using RF in, one on CH3 and the other on CH4.

All the confusion I've seen in this thread is because of the daisy chaining.. and I can't fathom why it would even occur to anyone to do it.

then there are off the wall statements like
    I don't see how the OP is coming to that conclusion. I wasn't aware the SA8300 was at all "connected to the internet" nor do I think it is, I think that's a misconception from the OP.

It sounds like there are at least 2 posters in this thread that need to step back because they have things hooked up improperly, and this is exactly the forum where they can get the help to hook things up properly so that they operate in a far less confusing manner.

Diane

18. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Frankly, there is absolutely no good way to connect two DVRs in series, as it sounds like you are trying to do. There are a few reasons for this:
    1) The TiVo cannot "access" or in any other way pull up the recordings that are stored on the SA8300. You will always have to use the SA8300 remote control to access those recordings. Which leads to:
    2) When you directly access the SA8300, this can cause badness. Any time you have the TiVo controlling a cable box, you're better off letting the TiVo and it alone do the control of the cable box, or you end up possibly screwing up a recording that the TiVo is trying to make.
    3) If you end up with the SA8300 recording some programs while the TiVo is also trying to record a program, you'll end up just recording a program-length recording of the cable box screen saying "Are you sure you want to change the channel?" because the TiVo has absolutely no idea that the SA8300 is already busy.
    4) Lastly, by connecting the two DVRs in series, you end up essentially wasting the TiVo's tuner, which means instead of being able to record 3 programs at once, you can only record two.

The best way to configure your setup with both a TiVo and a SA8300 is to split the cable feed, and run one "leg" to the SA8300, and another "leg" to the TiVo. Then, connect both the SA8300 and the TiVo directly to the TV using RCA cables (assuming your TV has multiple RCA inputs), or use a switchbox and connect both the TiVo and the SA8300 to THAT, then use the switchbox to switch between the two. You'll still have to use two remote controls... but you won't have the TiVo fighting for control of the SA8300 at the same time.

19. TooVoo

TooVoo New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    That was informative and useful.

Mine is different from OP, I think. I have a splitter already in, and we can see recordings on both now. Of course, it wasn't my goal to avoid seeing the old recordings, and the tivo is connected according to the instructions.

Maybe my wife will let me get a new TV, and she can keep her DVR and I'll use the tivo.

20. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    We've rehashed a lot of this on the thread above, it should be a bit clearer (and the answer is up there)

The consensus is do *not* connect them to each other under any circumstances.
    Cable comes in from cable company, is split,
    one RF cable goes to SA8300
    other RF cable goes to Tivo

Then coming out of the boxes:
    SA8300 goes into one tv input
    Tivo goes into a different tv input

Quick, easy, foolproof, you can watch both, both can record *any* channel they can receive without interfering with the other.

Pretend the SA8300 is another Tivo (do *not* treat the SA8300 as a cable box)

the floor is open for questions :)