accessing one's own viewing data?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by mwhoyle, Sep 2, 2011.

1. mwhoyle

mwhoyle New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    Apologies if this is a FAQ, but does anyone have a suggestion for a way to access one's own viewing data on a TiVo Series 2? I was just curious.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt Hoyle

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    A series 2 and above, can transfer the recordings to another TiVo or PC. If you have not done this before, go to TiVo.com, login to yoru account, under DVR Preferences, check transfers and downloads. It can take a day to get a media access key assigned to your TiVo. There are programs to allow downloads and uploads of recordings, such as TiVo Desktop (not recommended, although it's the official program), PyTivo, and a few others. You would need that Media Access Key to access and decode in order to transfer.

3. mwhoyle

mwhoyle New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I'm interested in accessing (downloading) the usage data that the TiVo builds as a profile of one's TV-watching habits. The data that it uses to build a profile of what you watch and then record suggestions, etc. (And is used for building Nielsen ratings, etc.)

Thanks for the reply, though.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It is in the /var/log folder. If the TiVo is hacked, you can simply FTP it to your computer to view, or cat it over telnet.

If it is not hacked, then you can mount the drive to a PC, and with the MFStools CD at least, mount the drive (specifically partition 9) and copy to your computer drive or a USB flash drive.

5. mwhoyle

mwhoyle New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks, classicsat. Cool. :)

6. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    How would the Tivo know when you're viewing it? It's always running and displaying shows even when the TV is off...

7. mwhoyle

mwhoyle New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    That's a good point. I wonder if it tracks presses of the TV Power key on the remote?

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It only tracks use of its remote, from what I seen of the file.