1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accessibility Screen Reader volume

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by steve4440, Dec 3, 2016.

1. steve4440

steve4440 New Member

Dec 3, 2016
    We just updated our Tivo to use the screen reader feature to on but we couldn't find a volume control to adjust it. Its too loud as it is. Is there a way to adjust the volume?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TiVo shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, that's pretty loud. I'd have thought they'd have a volume control under the Audio settings, but there's just a description listed for 'Screen Reader', at present.

3. mchief

mchief Morey

Sep 10, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Screen reader disables Dolby Digital for PCM which is understandable, but when you turn off screen reader, DD stay disables. You have to go to setting to turn DD back on. A bit of a PITA

krkaufman likes this.
  4. **H2**

**H2** New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Thanks

5. **H2**

**H2** New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Thanks !
    No more descriptive audio!

6. Tipperton

Tipperton New Member

May 23, 2017
    I definitely agree that the screen reader is excessively loud and absolutely needs an adjustment similar to the one for sound effects.

When I suggested this to TiVo they responded with an answer that sounded like they believe that the visually impaired are also hearing impaired because they said it had to be loud so it could be heard.

It appears that TiVo isn't receptive at all to correcting this problem, so I suggest that everyone that believes the screen reader is way too loud post an appropriately negative review on the Romeo and Bolt DVRs and be sure to mention that the screen reader's volume being too loud is a problem. I believe this might be the only way to get TiVo to listen to it's customers.

For now what I do is keep the volume down while navigating the menus, then when I am ready to start playing something, I turn off the screen reader, then raise the volume so I can hear what is being played, then when it's over, I lower the volume and turn the screen reader back on. While this does work, I feel that TiVo is doing the visually impaired a huge disservice by forcing us to have to take such measures.

7. Tipperton

Tipperton New Member

May 23, 2017
    I discovered something about this problem.

As it turns out the screen reader's volume isn't excessively loud when you are using the TV's internal speakers, but add a home theater system or a good quality sound bar to your setup and suddenly the screen reader's voice becomes excessively loud.

The reason?

The voice apparently has a lot of base content which the TV's rather tinny speakers don't reproduce very well. However a home theater system with a sub woofer or a sound bar with base enhancement will reproduce or even enhance the base content of the screen reader's voice making it excessively loud.

Text to speech voices are largely calculated to produce the sounds that make up the words being spoken. It may be beyond TiVo's abilities to modify the screen reader's voice to remove or minimize its base content. But it shouldn't be beyond them to add an additional audio/ video option to allow us to set the screen reader's volume similar to the way we can currently set the volume level of the TiVo's sound effects.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    When Screen Reader is enabled, the audio switches to PCM. I does not switch back until you go to the audio settings and change it to Dolby. Add that to your items list. If I feed PCM to my AVR (5.1) the volume drops a lot.

9. Tipperton

Tipperton New Member

May 23, 2017
    Yeah I noticed that about Dolby DTS vs PCM. PCM doesn't seem to affect my Bose sound bar, but I'll bet it could do more with Dolby DTS.

Just as you can det your preferred audio track, some language or SAP, for play back that Dolby DTS or PCM should be a play back option.

Switch to PCM while in the menus because that's where you need the screen reader, but switch to Dolby DTS for play back because you're not likely to want the screen reader talking while you are watching something.

That way we could have the screen reader that we need and the high quality sound we want.

I hope TiVo watches these forums.