Access Tivo Stream 4K Hidden A/V Menus

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by ptcfast2, May 12, 2020.

1. ptcfast2

ptcfast2 Member

May 10, 2020
    Here's a quick rundown of how to access the hidden menus in com.droidlogic.tv (the app that is the the "More" menu on the Stream 4k). You'll need to enable Android's Developer Mode to do this. They seem to do stuff, but your results may vary. Might fix issues others are having with random wake ups, HDR, other stuff.
    1. Enable Developer Mode by going to Device Preferences --> About --> Build and click it a few times until it tells you that you are a "Developer".
    2. Then go to Device Preferences --> Developer Options--> USB Debugging and enable this option.
    3. Go to Network & Internet --> Available Networks and click your connected WiFi network to see what your Stream's IP address currently is.
    4. Download and install adblink
    5. In adblink enter your Stream's IP address in the "Ad Hoc IP" field.
    6. Click "Connect". You'll be prompted to accept the connection on the Stream itself - accept it and also remember the device if prompted.
    7. Once adblink reports that you are connected click "ADB Shell"
    8. Copy and paste the following commands in the terminal window to launch the associated menu item on the Stream itself:

CEC Settings
    am start -n com.droidlogic.tv.settings/com.droidlogic.tv.settings.HdmiCecActivity

HDMI Self Adaptation/Refresh Rate Switching
    am start -n com.droidlogic.tv.settings/com.droidlogic.tv.settings.PlaybackActivity

Dolby Vision On/Off
    am start -n com.droidlogic.tv.settings/com.droidlogic.tv.settings.display.dolbyvision.DolbyVisionSettingActivity

Dolby Vision Graphics/Video Priority
    am start -n com.droidlogic.tv.settings/com.droidlogic.tv.settings.display.dolbyvision.GraphicsPrioritySettingActivity

HDR to SDR
    am start -n com.droidlogic.tv.settings/com.droidlogic.tv.settings.display.hdr.HdrSettingActivity

SDR to HDR
    am start -n com.droidlogic.tv.settings/com.droidlogic.tv.settings.display.sdr.SdrSettingActivity

051220014630.png 051220014651.png 051220014728.png 051220014737.png

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  2. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    I'll be checking this out, what was the default SDR->HDR setting?

3. CraigThom

CraigThom Member

Sep 27, 2002
    Maybe the CEC settings will let me turn my TV off.

Diacritical likes this.
  4. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    Huzzah-- the only command I've ran so far was to turn Dolby Vision off
    am start -n com.droidlogic.tv.settings/com.droidlogic.tv.settings.display.dolbyvision.DolbyVisionSettingActivity

I have the system set for HDR10, I'm no longer getting forced HDR outside of apps but I did get HDR with a Netflix title. This is great.

edit: rebooted and Dolby Vision is re-enabled again. Too bad...

aaronwt likes this.
  5. jimpmc

jimpmc Active Member

Oct 31, 2001
    I was wondering if the adb settings would survive a reboot. Hopefully a firmware update will expose these settings -- at least it doesn't need to be developed from the ground up.

6. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    That was my thought too, hopefully they address it all quickly

7. CraigThom

CraigThom Member

Sep 27, 2002
    I was able to turn off CEC. Now maybe my TV will stay off.

8. jwort93

jwort93 Member

Dec 18, 2015
    I disabled dolby vision, but it doesn't seem to stick. The screen blanks, but when it comes back it's still dolby vision.

Edit, figured it out, you need to set it to hdr10 in the regular settings first, and then disable dolby vision, which puts it in sdr then.

ptcfast2 and aaronwt like this.
  9. ptcfast2

ptcfast2 Member

May 10, 2020
    Honestly, I don't think they are actually using Dolby Vision here and the reason we can't mess with it is that the implementation isn't working properly. On a SDR TV, disabling Dolby Vision actually makes the picture better, colors get less saturated the moment you use the hidden menu item to turn it off. Furthermore, like, how is it even working? Why does the picture even change? How? Are you just saying Dolby Vision is a software thing now? What's up with this?

DOLBY VISION SHOULD NOT EVEN BE AN OPTION ON A NON-DOLBY VISION TV!

There's something really screwy going on with HDR related stuff on the Stream...and to me it's almost like they are forcing Dolby Vision because Dolby Vision isn't actually working properly so it's better to show it "on" without the option to disable to satisfy the advertising. It's not an automatically detected thing, that's for freaking sure.

I bet you this thing was partly rushed out the door to try and save it from the impending launch/announcement of the Google Android TV device. If they waited later, people would just use the Google device as it's rumored to basically eat Tivo's lunch in this arena. They probably figured it was better to get SOME marketshare on a product they were developing vs waiting until Google's offering gives consumers no reason to purchase the Tivo version. Undercut everyone for a month on price, hope people buy it, work out the bugs (if they care enough).

If Tivo can RAPIDLY fix the bugs, and actually bring the Tivo "experience" fully to this device they can compete. If they don't, it's a DOA product.

brotony and pldoolittle like this.
  10. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    Be aware TiVo can't fix it if you brick the device. People are posting things like my pic on FB.

Attached Files:

11. ptcfast2

ptcfast2 Member

May 10, 2020
    Nothing described in this thread will brick the device. Please don't spread false information unrelated to the topic being discussed.

12. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    How do you get a current setting?

13. ptcfast2

ptcfast2 Member

May 10, 2020
    You can just run the command to open the menu and it will show you the current setting for that menu item.

14. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    What is "the command to open the menu" ?
    And, what about other possible settings?
    Thanks!

15. ptcfast2

ptcfast2 Member

May 10, 2020
    It's in Step 8 of the first post of this thread.

16. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Ok. Found the documentation on that command, and understand what you mean, now. Looking to see if there's a way to list the available components for an intent.

17. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This is pretty cool. You're finding all the good stuff.

18. Where As

Where As New Member

May 12, 2020
    I'll def have to try some of these! Will any of these allow auto switching to/from Dolby Vision? The FireTV 4k stick was delivered set to all DV all the time, but was able to be changed to only engage DV for DV content.

In general I'm disappointed in the lack of access to the native Android TV settings - so many of them show up on the Stream, but are grayed out in the menu :-( Guess I'm spoiled by my Shield TV, which is almost pure native Android TV...

19. brotony

brotony New Member

May 8, 2020
    I've used this app on my Fire TV 4KS. Same issue with settings not sticking. It's a shame some devices have hidden momentary settings that aren't user controlled and stick.

Fix this TiVo. All of it.

I sent them questions and suggestions and all I got back initially was a case number. Days later followed up with, "sorry, the TiVo Streamer 4K is currently out of stock. We'll let you know when it's back in stock." Is that any way to handle a case number? No sale.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

20. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    I think it's the other way around. Those menus, options and settings are Nvidia refinements from the past 5 years. The menus on this TiVo device more closely mimics a barebones Android TV. They look exactly like the Jetstream 4K box I picked up from Walmart that has had zero updates since it released. TiVo might have locked a suggestion row to the home screen but not much done in the settings. Just my take on it anyway.

aaronwt likes this.