Access My Tivo from the internet

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gr8vfr, Oct 21, 2008.

1. gr8vfr

gr8vfr New Member

Oct 21, 2008

Advertisements

I have read most of the tips in the search for accessing my Tivo Via the internet.

I can hit my Tivo's webpage: "Congratulations!
    You’ve successfully connected your TiVo® box to your home network, enabling a number of exciting new Home Media features: "

From the internet.

How do I get Tivo Desktop to connect and download my data?

2. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    If you mean access your tivo from a different location... that is against Tivo's Terms of Service. However, set up your own VPN at home and it'll connect just fine. Or use another machine to get it first and then transfer it from that machine to your own in any fashion you like.
    Josh

3. techieunite

techieunite New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    This is not a good idea.

I tried it and the show took so long to transfer that I was leaving work before it was even done. This was a 3.0gb file.

You basically use Tivo Web to get into it.

You might get fired at work because of the bandwidth utilization.

Plus, even if you have Comcast, the upload is not fast enough to transfer shows real time. Expect about an hour or more for a half hour show.

This is why Satellite companies are going mp4 instead of mpeg2. It is so much smaller for basically the same video quality.

sigh

4. gr8vfr

gr8vfr New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Cool.

I will give up my quest.
    Thanks for the quick replies.

Now get back to work.

5. jlac839

jlac839 New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    San Jose, CA

Advertisements

Remember you could also use a placeshifter such as Slingbox. Also, you could use the features of TivoDesktop Plus to automatically transfer shows to a PC at home and convert them into more compressed formats that might be quicker to transfer. You might also consider using Orb (www.orb.com). There are plenty of posts about this area of interest in the Tivo Home Media Features and TivoToGo forum.