Access denied thru home networking

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Solana_Steve, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Solana_Steve

Solana_Steve New Member

Feb 20, 2006

Advertisements

I just installed the home networking usb device and I can see the network from the Tivo box and even play songs on my TV from my computer. I enabled transferring from my computer account and followed the setup procedure from the home networking instructions.

One thing that was odd, was that I tried to get the MAK (Media Access Key) from the TiVo box it say temporarily unavailable.

So finally, when I use TiVo desktop to try to transfer recorded programming, I get "There was an error while attempting to retrieve data from the selected DVR. Access Denied."

Not sure what I need to do...

Steve

2. dtreese

dtreese New Member

May 6, 2005
  3. leegordon

leegordon New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    West...
    I am experiencing the exact same problem, except that during setup when my TiVo box told me the MAK was temporarily unavailable I did go to the TiVo website and retrieve the number and enter it. I am able to look at pictures and listen to music from my PC on the TV through the TiVo, but when attempting to transfer recordings on my "Now Playing" list from the TiVo to the computer, I get the same error message.

My router is a Linksys WRT54GS (wireless-G with Speedboost) and the adapter I have connected to the unit is a Netgear WG111NA (with "approved" serial number indicating it is TiVo compatible). I just installed both of these components on my previously un-networked computer this week. I'm running Windows XP Media Edition and have granted all the necessary permissions in Zone Alarm.

4. NewYorkLaw

NewYorkLaw New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    New York City
    I had similar trouble last week when adding a second tivo to my network, but the problem went away after a second set of restarts. Try restarting (again).
    Pete

5. leegordon

leegordon New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    West...

Advertisements

After reading and posting in this thread I realized that I needed to take one additional step and you may have to as well. Go to tivo.com and log in to "Manage My Account." There should be a DVR List which shows you all the TiVo boxes you have (in my case, just the one). At the end of the row is a column called "Settings" and if it doesn't say "Transfers Allowed" you have to go to "Name Your DVRs" and check the "Enable Video Downloads" box.

I did that last night and it still isn't working but it says to allow 24 hours for the changes to take effect.

6. NewYorkLaw

NewYorkLaw New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    New York City
    Well, in my case I had already done that before thinking I had a problem. It was 24 hours after changing the settings on teh site before I reported my "problem" which just went away on its own after a couple more reboots.

It'll probably resolve itself.

Pete

7. leegordon

leegordon New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    West...
    I don't know if it was a. checking "allow file transfers", b. re-booting the TiVo, or c. waiting the 24 hours, but I was finally able to transfer programs from my DVR to my computer without getting that error message.

8. CodeNewbie

CodeNewbie New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    I had the same. It went away.