access cards

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by shredhead, Dec 27, 2005.

1. shredhead

shredhead New Member

Oct 14, 2003
    I see a handful of DTV Tivo units on ebay without access cards included. Can I use the access card I have for my cheapo RCA (non Tivo) receivers for this or are the access cards for specific models of receiver?

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Sometimes... but probably not...

A lot depends on exactly what type of card it is (if it is a football player on it, forget about it).
    most of the time you will have to purchase a new access card from DirecTV.

Some people have had luck convincing them to reactivate an old card, but most of time you need to purchase one.

3. shredhead

shredhead New Member

Oct 14, 2003
    would there be a situation where I would not be able to activate a card that came with a used/refurbished unit? I just don't want to buy a unit that comes with a card but then I still have to buy a card too.

4. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Sadly... There is no real way to tell; especially on Ebay... you simply don't know the history of them.

I would recommend that you go through an authorized vendor and purchase through them.
    The DVRs currently have a $100 rebate/credit right now... So you can get a new one (with access card) for near free... depending on what model you go with.

5. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    It is highly unlikely that they would activate a used card. More than likely they will send you a new one for 20 bucks, or possibly free if you complain loudly.

6. shredhead

shredhead New Member

Oct 14, 2003
    I guess I'll have to go find an R10 then... But I don't think I'll go for the rebate because I don't want to commit for 2 years since we're selling our house and I don't know where we will be moving. One community includes cable/internet along with the homeowner's association services so it would be hard to justify paying for satellite on top of it.

(I'll be checking the fine print of the rebate form for the last date the rebate will be accepted.)

7. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    They're going to commit you to 2 years whether you do the rebate or not.

8. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    I had no problem moving an already activated card (on my account, in a non-DVR receiver) to a used DTivo I bought with no card - but that was a year ago, maybe they do things differently now.

9. newbie101

newbie101 New Member

Apr 9, 2005
    I bought a used philips dsr704 about 3 weeks ago, just activated it last night, cs did mention I need to buy a new ac, since I can't use the one that came with it. then I asked if I can use the ac from the receiver i am replacing, she just said ok, wil just remarry it to your new dtivo receiver. I also asked if i have to commit to a new contract, and she said no.
    The cs was really very helpful,patient and nice. two thumbs up to them.

10. jedware

jedware Member

Jan 6, 2004
    I just activated yesterday two Tivos (HDVR2, SD-DVR40) with original cards that came with them off ebay. Checked the cards that their weren't any purchases pending on them but had no problem activating them. Maybe luck of the CSR draw.

11. mgp

mgp New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Texas
    I bought a used SD-DVR40 off of eBay without an access card. Tried to use one of my old P4 card's but D would not allow it. I was charged $20 for a new card, but they gave me 3 months of Showtime and $5 off my basic pkg for 6 months.

12. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    There's a trick to activating used DTivos with existing access cards but it depends on what types of receivers you currently have on your account.

1. If you already have the DVR service and a non-RID standard DTV receiver, you can install a non-RID DTivo (S1 or S2) with the card from existing old receiver. Call DTV and select the option regarding a 3-digit extension being displayed on your TV screen. Punch in "722" and the access card will be refreshed and remarry itself to your DTivo. DTV will never know you even installed it and therefore no 2-year commitment. This will only work with non-RID receivers and DTivos.

2. If you want to add an RID DTivo as a replacement for an existing receiver, simply call DTV and tell them what you want to do but say that the old receiver died and you want to replace it with the DTivo. You should be able to swap out the access cards and not be tied to a 2-year commitment since you'd be replacing an existing receiver and not activating new equipment. There is no guarantee that the CSR won't try to tie you down with a 2-year extension so stand firm and refuse to be saddled with it. If the CSR won't give in just hang up and try another CSR.

3. If you want to add an RID DTivo to your account in addition to the equipment you already have, you will probably need a new access card. Depending on the CSR you get, you may be able to activate a used card that came with the DTivo if you have the account info available from the previous owner. The only way a used card can be activated from another account is if the previous account has zero balance on it. Even then, some CSRs will be reluctant to activate it so you may have to play CSR roulette until you find one that will accommodate you.

13. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Regarding #1 - I have an R10 that I deactivated. I have a new-in-box HDVR2. Can I use the 722 extension trick by putting the access card from the R10 into the HDVR2?

I'd may want to do that to keep the card that comes with the HDVR2 to use in a used HR10-250, should I decide to buy one.

14. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    No. It will only work with non-RID models AFAIK and only with receivers that are currently activated. Performing the 722 trick won't reactivate a card that's been deactivated. It will only transfer an activated card from one non-RID receiver to another.

15. bobofoosh

bobofoosh Senior Member

May 23, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Unless I'm missing something this would work between non-RID DTivos as well, correct?

I could go from a DSR-6000 to a DSR-7000 using this trick since both are non-RID?

Thanks

16. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    I bought a Philips DSR704 off EBay with a card. I called in to add it to my account. No problem adding the DTiVo with the card. Got the Two Year Commitment runaround. Called in the next day, got activated and no commitment. Just three more switcheroonies to do.

17. mysdak

mysdak New Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Does it have to be a direct-tivo unit that is the donor, or will any non-RID receiver work. I have a sony sat B50 running now and would like to use it as a donor for a HDVR2 that I purchased on ebay. What if there is a balance owed on the tivo?

18. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    >Does it have to be a direct-tivo unit that is the donor

AFAIK the DirecTv access card is SPECIFIC to DirecTv, since the serial number embedded in the card must be activated by DirecTv according to their information database

19. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    I have had success in DirecTV activating a DVR using a card from a non-DVR receiver that was previously active on my account.

20. SteelersFan

SteelersFan "On Welfare"

Sep 6, 2004
    Saugus, CA
    +1 I just did this 2 days ago. I took a previously active card from a 3 year old RCA435 non-DVR and married it to a new-to-me DSR7000 (a friend gave it to me when they switched from DTV). It took 5 minutes with a DTV CSR with no hassles. I even had her check to make sure the DVR showed as owned and it did. I did forget to ask if this would trigger a new commitment but I am not worried about that as I have chained myself to DTV for a long time anyway (see my sig). :) :eek: