Access card - must I give it back?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by TiVoWestchester, May 15, 2011.

1. TiVoWestchester

TiVoWestchester New Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Briarcliff...
    I purchases a Hughes DIRECTV DVR with TiVo; have been using it for several years. I have cancelled my DIRECTV service. They sent me a postage paid envelope for me to put this unit's access card in it and return it to them. The unit is clearly mine; bought and paid for. What about the access card? Must I return it to DIRECTV? What if someday I decide to go back to satellite? What if I want to sell the unit? Would DIRECTV furnish me or a new user of the unit with a new access card? If anyone has experience in this area, please let me know. :confused:

2. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    Access cards belong to the firm.

3. TiVoWestchester

TiVoWestchester New Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Briarcliff...
    Maybe they do and maybe they don't. If you take a DIRECTV TiVo unit out of service in your home......just don't use it......no one asks for the access card back. However, if you pull the plug on DIRECTV then they ask you for the access card back? How many access cards are sitting in machines that are just laying around and not hooked up to the system?

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    DirecTV will generally insist that a new box owner pay for a new access card. Depending on what type of box it is, they can sometimes be convinced to activate the old card. However, as it says on the card, it's property of DirecTV, though they rarely ask for the cards back if not coming along with a box.

5. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Send the envelope back to Direct TV empty and unsealed.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Just send them the Access Card. It's no good to your or anyone that you sell your old Tivo to.

7. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    If you don't return it.... then they can charge you $300. :eek:

8. BigMunch

BigMunch New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Lets hope you sent it back brother !

9. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Interesting...so I guess if I ever cancel my DirecTV altogether, I'd do this:
    - cancel ONLY my owned receivers from my account, but do NOT cancel the service altogether (I have both owned & leased receivers)
    - wait about a month or two, THEN cancel the entire account, which then I would have to return the lease receivers; presumably, they will NOT try & ask for the cards back from my owned receivers