Absolutely sure 6.3 loaded via telco?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by chuckg, Sep 15, 2007.

1. chuckg

chuckg New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Berkeley

Advertisements

Another show didn't record. This after doing a complete Clear and delete. Fortunately I simultaneously recorded it on unit#2. Last weekend only 1:43 of 4:00 starting at the same time on the same channel recorded.

Now I could buy a couple of new power supplies but it is quicker and cheaper to just put the old 40GB HDs with 6.2 on them back in. But I do not ever want the software to be upgraded again!

Absolutely sure 6.3 loaded via telco?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The software arrives on your hard disk by satellite but it is not installed unless authorized during a phone call. So if you leave the phone line disconnected, it will not update.

3. chuckg

chuckg New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Berkeley
    Hopefully no telco won't cause problems with NFL package. Forgot about that. :eek:

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I have no personal experience with that. Theoretically, NFLST requires a phone line, but I've read others saying they don't have theirs connected.

You can disable updates even with a phone call by modifying the boot parameters to set UPGRADESOFTWARE=FALSE. This is typically done as part of "hacking".

5. chuckg

chuckg New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Berkeley

Advertisements

The only way I would hack is paying someone else to do it. :)
    When I first bought the DTivos I posted on some forum an offer to pay someone to hack to my specs my DTivos without any takers.

My unit#2 just "Powered up" while it and unit#1 were simultaneously playing F1 qualifying from this morning to see if pixelation reported on another thread had occured.

I hate my DTivos since 6.3 which is why I am going back to 6.2.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Your NFL Sunday Ticket will work fine without a phone connection.