Absentia on Amazon

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tivoknucklehead, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Feb 4, 2018 #1 of 15
    tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

Advertisements

very solid pilot episode. plot is female FBI agent kidnapped and assumed dead turns up alive 6 years later. serial killer in prison charged with her murder. her FBI agent husband has remarried and her 8 y/o son wants nothing to do with her.
    shocking revelation at end of episode one

good stuff here

2. Feb 5, 2018 #2 of 15
    Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    Going to check it out soon(after I finish Altered Carbon). We were Castle fans so this should be right up our alley.

3. Feb 5, 2018 #3 of 15
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Watched it a while ago. Not bad, but nothing special. Good time killer.

4. Feb 7, 2018 #4 of 15
    Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    It got pretty far-fetched towards the end, but for the most part, I enjoyed it....suspenseful and entertaining.

5. Feb 8, 2018 #5 of 15
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada

Advertisements

Has the whole season streamed in the US? Up here were up to E3 so far. We're enjoying it.

6. Feb 8, 2018 #6 of 15
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    We finished it Tuesday. Random thoughts:
    • It was unreal how fast she seemed to recover from her bullet wound and the stabbing in the woods.
    • Thinking about the dishwasher scene some I interpret it as her thinking about drowning the guy in woods water not some other killing.
    • They seem to imply there could be other killers/screwed up children of the professor for a sequel.
    • They filmed it in Bulgaria as a standin for Boston. Funny that nobody even tried to have a Boston accent.
    • I suspected the bad guy was the journalist who seemed to be important but was going nowhere.

7. Feb 8, 2018 #7 of 15
    Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    Agree with your points. I wish I had kept count of all the modes of transportation that magically appeared every time she needed a fast getaway.
    Off the top of my head, I can think of train, bus, hot wired car, semi-truck and the back of a delivery truck.

zalusky likes this.
  8. BlueMerle

BlueMerle Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I should probably preface my comments by saying that I enjoyed this. It was a fun ride if a little bumpy at the end. Well cast, well acted and certainly entertaining.

There were enough plot holes, inconsistencies and misdirection to make Agatha Christie stand up and applaud... and she's been dead sometime now. If you're a fan of police procedurals where the police fail to ask the most obvious questions or make an assumption on the spot and never give it a second thought, you'll love this.

A few spoilery points:

A bit unrealistic that someone who was held prisoner for 6 years and treated the way she was would be able to function normally in a matter of days.

I'm not sure even the worst sibling would do what her brother did to her. Putting her on the street in such a heartless way.

A bit unrealistic that she was so quickly suspected in the murders.

9. jdfs

jdfs Unspecial Member

Oct 21, 2002
    I enjoyed it, however nothing about this felt like it took place in America, let alone Boston. Probably the fact that the location was in Europe and many of the actors were British had something to do with it. They had some strange accents and just looked European.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Martha likes this.
  10. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    Season 2 has started airing overseas. The first episode is available by wizardry.

Watch Absentia Season 2, June 14, 2019 on Amazon Prime Video.

11. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    almost forgot about this show

tim1724 likes this.
  12. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    SPOILER BELOW

I admit I wasn't paying total attention during last few episodes because some scenes were a bit draggy, but I had no idea where the killer showed up earlier. Can someone please explain who they were exactly?

13. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Oh, good. I was wondering where it would show up as the cable channel we watched S1 is no longer in our plan.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  14. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Racist!

:p

FWIW it's also available on Prime as a download...

15. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Up here you can't get HBO by itself, so I've temporarily dropped Netflix and added the package I need to get HBO, and just found out I've got both seasons of Absentia as well as Counterparts SEE, which I had not seen.