About to pick up a Tivo HD...question...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gulbane, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1 of 10
    gulbane

gulbane New Member

Sep 25, 2005

Advertisements

I had the original TIVO for many, many years and ended up switching to Cablevision's crappy HD Cable box about a year ago. After going to a friends house and remembering how awesome Tivo was, I'm running out today to pick up Tivo again!

Anyway, I currently have the Cablevision HD Cablebox and a host of premium channels. I understand that the Tivo HD accepts cablecards (which I have no knowledge of other than knowing they can replace my cablebox).

Questions:

1) Even though I would be paying the TIVO service AND the Cablevision rental - I can still use both together and not use a cable card, correct? The way we did back in the old days prior to Cablecards....

2) Can you transfer a HD recorded program to your PC? I know I use to be able to do this with my old SD Tivo - and I just want to confirm that it works with the HD recorded programs as well.

I have read that alot of folks have issues with either the "tuning adapter" or the Cablecard...and the wife would be nastier than normal should some of her "shows" get messed up and certain channels have periodic issues.

Thanks all!

2. Feb 4, 2010 #2 of 10
    pdonoghu

pdonoghu Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Upper...
    1) No. Series 3 models, which includes the HD, do not work with set top boxes at all. You need a multi stream card, or 2 single stream cards. You can ditch the cable box and save on the rental, or keep it on a separate input on the TV for on demand or to watch a 3rd channel if you want. Cable cards are cheaper than a box rental, and work fine.

2) Cablevision has moved the HBO HD channels, and some others, to SDV. If you want HBO channels in the 800 range, you need a tuning adapter. Mine reboots occasionally, hanging the Tivo, but it is not that common. A TA is free, at least for now.

3. Feb 4, 2010 #3 of 10
    jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    The need for a tuning adaptor is going to depend on your cable provider. I have comcast, and all of the HD channels are in the 800 range, and I do not need a TA.

To answer your questions about transferring HD programming to your PC - it depends :)

Much digital content is copy protected - tagged that way by your cable provider. Tivo has no option but to honor such tagging (if they did not honor it, they probably would not have received cablecard certification). So here too, a lot is going to depend on your cable company. In my instance, premium channels such as HBO, and a lot of the movie channels are copy protected. The major networks are not. Your mileage may vary.

4. Feb 4, 2010 #4 of 10
    gulbane

gulbane New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    My 5 year old Humax Tivo w/ DVD Burner would do anything I would throw at it. Hmm....was that particular unit just amazing or did this protection not exist a year or 2 ago?

5. Feb 4, 2010 #5 of 10
    susani8

susani8 New Member

Jan 14, 2006

Advertisements

I have a 5 year old Humax/DVD as well - and no, a few years ago the copy protect did not exist. The Humax as well as both of my S3s read the copy protect. I had Comcast and it seems the copy protect really varies market to market not just by provider, and even show to show. TNT in my market used to be almost all copy protect and last year backed off to only a couple of shows being protected.

The beauty of the TiVo is that you don't have to be stuck with cable. A year ago this week I disconnected my cable and went completely OTA and Netflix, and with the exception of a couple of shows on Discovery, I've not missed cable at all. As far as I know this is the only pure HD DVR (not a computer that's been built to handle DVR tasks - something I'm not capable of doing) that will do antenna only. You'll love the TiVo HD, there's nothing out there even close to it!

6. Feb 4, 2010 #6 of 10
    jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    The copy protection is related to digital content. Your Humax recorded an analog signal. When you burned it to DVD it needed to be transcoded at some loss of quality.

Digital content is pure content. This is why copy protection is such an issue now. With digital content, your recording is exactly the same quality as that of the original. The content owners understandably do not want to give you free access to that.

7. Feb 6, 2010 #7 of 10
    gulbane

gulbane New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I was about to pick up a new HD Tivo tomorrow, but now I am reading that the 'rumors' are that TIVO will be revealing a new tivo soon. Best Buy shows all TIVO's out of stock online and the Tivo web site shows the same. Any news on this before I buy a Tivo only the next day find out that there was a new one released?

Thanks all!!

8. Feb 6, 2010 #8 of 10
    tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Google the phrase "TiVo Premiere"

9. Feb 7, 2010 #9 of 10
    gulbane

gulbane New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Yea, I have read about this. Based on the Cable Card instructions for the "Tivo Premier" it seems to me that there is no significant change in the Tivo HD to this new one.

No Phone cord plug. A little smaller and thinner. So S-Video plug. Bleh. No real "change"?

10. BlueEos

BlueEos New Member

Mar 5, 2009
    My 5 year old S2 Pioneer 810h is plumbed to my DTV HD HR23 via the s-video output. I'm able to record ANY show from my DTV and wirelessly transfer to my Tivo Desktop Plus for converting for use on my iPod. The quality is great for this limited usage.

I don't understand exactly why I can record an HD show via the s-video output, but I assume my DTV box converts that signal to analog and pipes that to my Tivo. To my eye, the recorded show looks better than a recording made from a SD video channel. My lifetime Tivo is regulated to my basement setup because I'm too cheap to buy a DTV DVR in that location. Upstairs I do have a DTV HD DVR where I watch most of my recorded content in REAL HD. Still, the output of my Tivo serves a purpose.

Before, when I had Comcast, all HBO, etc movies were shown as "copy protected" and not available to Tivo Desktop. Since I've switched to DTV, I haven't tried to burn anything to DVD, but with Comcast, the quality of a burned DVD was similar to a first generation VHS (a tad snowy).