about alt epg

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by jonmon, Jun 25, 2011.

1. jonmon

jonmon New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Hi there:)
    network service is down so I am going onto the alt. epg. But I have a some questions. I am going to have a new drive put in and I am going to send the TiVo of to get it done. I think I will send it of to TiVo Central as they have a contact phone number. But is TiVo central and TiVo land doing a different alt. epg or are they putting the same software on the drive for the alt. epg? Also is TiVo central any good who is best TiVo Central or TiVo land, or are they both OK? Has anyone had bad experience with these companies? Also does anyone know the contact telphone number for TiVo land? Only asking all these question as I have never used these companies before and dont know much about them.
    Thanks for any help:D

2. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    Both companies have a good reputation so IMHO you would be Ok with either. I believe they each do their own software so if you have any specific requirements better ask them first to make sure it will do what you want.

If you are going to send off the TiVo have you considered a network card (assuming you don't already have one). A cachecard will also speed things up, a good idea if you are fitting a large hard drive.

3. SolidTechie

SolidTechie New Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Rugeley, Staffs
    Both have a good reputation. Both owners - healydave (TiVoland) and mikerr(TiVo Central) are prolific posters both here, and on the TiVoland forums.

TiVo Central is using a different disk image from TiVoLand - it depnds what is important to you - there will probably be more people using the TiVoLand disk image than the other, however, the TiVo Central disk will be slightly cheaper.

If you can wire a plug, then you probably have the skills required to drop in a new hard disk. You will save yourself £50 ish doing it yourself - all you need is a 500GB or 1TB disk, and a converter (these days, we use SATA disks instead of the legacy IDE disks) and a copy of the disk image.

Adding a network or cachecard isn't much more complicated, but I can understand if you are nervous - none of us want to be without our TiVo!

There is plenty of help & support available if you want to try it for yourself.

4. velocitysurfer1

velocitysurfer1 Proud S1lifer

Sep 6, 2006
    De11
    IIRC there will only be one AltEPG which both companies are supporting.

5. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    You know the AltEPG will work with your existing drive?

Automan.

6. alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008
    I don't want to take any business away from Dave or Mike who have worked hard to help us keep using our gear. But they have issued an iso which is simple to use and pretty much idiot proof.

Unfortunately for them I am of Scots /Irish extraction with deep pockets and short arms and therefore used the iso rather than purchasing a disk.

Alek

7. steveroe

steveroe Must do some work...

Oct 29, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    As Automan says, you don't HAVE to do anything other than rerun guided setup and put in an alternate phone number in the dialling prefix screen.

No need to use the ISO, send off the Tivo, buy a new drive etc.

8. jonmon

jonmon New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Thanks every one for the info much appreciated.:up: I have one TiVo with a network card and one that is standard hasn't been touched. What I would like to know is the one that uses the phone line, is it a case, like that has been said, to do a system set up again? I could make do with the basic one for now and try the alt epg.
    Thanks again for all your help:D

9. SolidTechie

SolidTechie New Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Rugeley, Staffs
    It's not difficult.

First - if you haven't done so, then you need to register any TiVos for the service first at AltEPG

You basically need to do a Clear & Delete Data (as a minimum) and rerun guided setup using the postcode of 01000

Then you need to put in the new number, and Robert, as they say - is your Mother's Brother.

Head on over to TivoLand to read the full instructions

10. Steve_K

Steve_K Member

May 5, 2001
    Sussex, UK
    Make sure you put in at least 11 pauses after the dial prefix

or you may well get BT call back at 2am in the morning

11. jonmon

jonmon New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Thanks SolidTechie
    Not sure about a few things as the link did not work. Am I correct in saying that I dont need to put the new software on to the hard drive and also what is the new number I should put in? Could you do step by step process to make the alt epg work on the phone line modem TiVo?:D

12. velocitysurfer1

velocitysurfer1 Proud S1lifer

Sep 6, 2006
    De11
    The AltEPG site appears to be down. But yes it's that simple and there is full step-by-step instructions available.

13. jonmon

jonmon New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    thanks for that:up:
    Just wondering if anyone could give me a step by step processes on how to do this as the site defiantly seem to be down and I really want to try this to night, cant wait any longer sorry about this but I really want to get my TiVo working again. I have signed up a couple of hours ago so I am not sure what I have to do next?

14. SolidTechie

SolidTechie New Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Rugeley, Staffs
    Sorry Jonmon - I used the iso image, and networked TiVo's - so had no need to absorb the number(s) or the network settings.

You'll have to wait until the TiVoland site comes back up I'm afraid.

15. jonmon

jonmon New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    I guess I will have to wait then, one other thing can I get the networked TiVo working in the same way as the dial up TiVo? I mean can I do it with out installing the software?

16. SolidTechie

SolidTechie New Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Rugeley, Staffs
    Yes, indeed you can.

When you can get onto TiVoLand - head for the "Installation and Configuration" forum - it's well signposted - and thhere are about half a dozen stickies at the top - including one each for dialup and one for Networked TiVos.

Most of the people over there came from here, so you'll recognise most of the usernames, as helpfully, most use the same moniker in both places.

17. drgeoff

drgeoff Member

Nov 10, 2005
    The tivoland forum is back on line.

18. drgeoff

drgeoff Member

Nov 10, 2005
    And off again :(

19. jonmon

jonmon New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Thanks everyone for helping me. I have used my dial up TiVo and like you said was quite simple to do. Looks like the network TiVo is not quite so straight forward. But I thought I would just use the dial up TiVo for now and see how a get on with the alt epg. Then put a new drive in the network TiVo as I would like a bigger drive anyway and that will have the alt epg on that drive. Couple things I want to ask and that is the alt epg only got a weeks worth of programs instead of two weeks? Also how big is the drive in this Tivo can only record 40 hours in basic and about 11 in high? It should be 40 gb drive should it not, they didnt do a smaller drive on the UK TiVo did they?
    Thanks again

20. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    While in alpha testing AltEPG has one week of listings (this might increase later).

The UK TiVo's only came with 40GB as standard.