ABC To Repeat Performance Of Norman Lear Sitcoms ‘All In The Family,’ ‘The Jeffersons’

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by hairyblue, May 24, 2019.

1. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL
  2. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
  3. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL
    I was reading about the superstar cast and was kicking myself for missing it. I set up a manual record for tomorrow to get it. Looks like it did so well in the ratings that ABC wanted to suddenly re-air it.

realityboy likes this.
  4. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
  5. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread on this show before. It was enjoyable. My one complaint is that it was bleeped. Have we become that thinned skinned?

mattack likes this.
  6. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    In the follow up program, it was discussed on how they would handle it. It shouldn’t have been bleeped. It was a discussion of a negative word, not the usage of it per se.

7. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Thanks for the heads up. I wanted to watch the first broadcast but forgot.

8. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    Marisa Tomei as Edith was fantastic
    overall the show was fun

Tony_T, dbranco and realityboy like this.
  9. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Can I ask, for those of you who did so, why did you like them?

I enjoyed them briefly, for a few minutes, watching the accomplished cast trying to act like the original characterizations. Highlights for me being: Marisa Tomei and her screech-singing, emulating Jean Stapleton and her Edith; Jennifer Hudson's near-perfect copy of the original "Movin' On Up," originally performed by Ja'net DuBois; and Marla Gibbs' performance.

But apart from that, I ended up speeding through much of my TiVo box's recordings of the 2 shows. They almost felt to me like little kids putting on shows for their moms and dads (but at a much higher level). Perhaps because I lived through the originals, I kept thinking that I would have preferred if the producers simply had presented those instead, or a compilation show of the originals, perhaps with reflections of some of the original cast, perhaps a small amount of reenactments, and modern reflections. As it was, the presentations just seemed to be an ok/so-so/meh reproduction of the originals. I guess that, in the end, I really just didn't get it. (But I'm glad the others seemingly did.)

10. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    Marisa Tomei crushed it then Foxx & the bleep ruined it.

11. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Those were definitely the highlights, but the scripts themselves do still hold up fairly well and are enjoyable on their own (even if they’re not quite up to the standard of the originals).

12. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I watched the follow up program but didn't agree with their decision.

13. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I also missed it. Not on my Tivo Guide yet, but hopefully I will remember to keep checking.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

14. Xaa

Xaa Active Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Roanoke, VA USA
    Marisa Tomei was fantastic. She was by far and away the best. Overall, i enjoyed it. I hoped for a better Archie out of Woody Harrelson, but it was ok. I'm of the age that I watched these shows first run. That show was blessed with Stapleton and O'Connor and I wonder if it would have been the same with lesser talent. Tomei was up to the task of filling Stapleton's shoes, but Harrelson not so much for his role

Jamie Foxx, overall was good. I loved the George Jefferson mannerisms. He did a really good job of impersonating Sherman Hemsley portraying George and that was very nostalgic and balanced out by Wanda Sykes not impersonating Isablelle Sanford but instead portraying her own Weezy. I didn't love Foxx breaking character on his flub. It is Live TV and things happen, the pros don't break character and I wish he hadn't. I'm never a fan of censorship so I would have preferred no beeping. Loved seeing Marla Gibbs. Of course she isn't as quick and snappy as she used to portray Florence, but again, for nostalgia, it made me smile. Jennifer Hudson was great.

Sadly, for a country that has come a long way in race relations and dynamics, we clearly have almost the same journey ahead of us still. A script from the early 70's, if you changed the president's name and little else is still just as meaningful today. Norman Lear made us think back then and again last night.

15. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL
    I just updated my Tivo guide with a forced call and the "Live in Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear's 'All in the Family' and 'The Jeffersons'" is now slotted for Saturday night. It runs from 7pm CST to 8:32pm.

16. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I grew up watching both shows, in first run and syndication. Over all, I enjoyed it for the nostalgia. The actors who chose to imitate their predecessors, rather than do their own portrayals, seemed cheesy at times. Jamie Foxx, for example, simply did not have Sherman Hemsley's swagger, so his imitation fell flat. I think he could have done an excellent job in his own right.

17. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I had a mid-morning connection and it shows up for me, also. :) Is the 1:32 bloc adequate? Maybe I'll just add a minute or two to be sure.

Thanks again for the heads up.

ETA - I see in the guide that right after the show there is a 'Nightline' production that is about the two shows.

18. JTAnderson

JTAnderson Active Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Redondo...
    For anyone interested in watching the originals...

All In the Family was S4E6. It will play on Sundance on May 29.

The Jeffersons was S1E1. It is on-demand on Encore (at least on Directv).

Mikeguy likes this.
  19. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I just checked and it's not in the app. I'll have to remember to force a call from home.

20. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I didn’t either.

mattack likes this.