ABC has it's head in a very dark place

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by SpacemanSpiff, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Jul 7, 2006 #1 of 20
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    ABC Looks Beyond Upfront to DVR, Commercial Ratings Issues

I checked around a bit and didn't see this posted elsewhere and thought it interesting.

pquote]ABC HAS HELD DISCUSSIONS ON the use of technology that would disable the fast-forward button on DVRs, according to ABC President of Advertising Sales Mike Shaw, with the primary goal to allow TV commercials to run as intended.

"I would love it if the MSOs, during the deployment of the new DVRs they're putting out there, would disable the fast-forward [button]," Shaw said.

While MSOs risk losing some of their DVR customers if fast-forwarding were blocked, Shaw said the cable operators--who are beefing up their own local ad sales operations--"are in the same business we're in." "They've got to sell ads too," he said. "So if everybody's skipping everybody's ads, that's not a long-term business model for them either."

Shaw also threw cold water on the idea that neutering the fast-forward option would result in a consumer backlash. He suggested that consumers prefer DVRs for their ability to facilitate on-demand viewing and not ad-zapping--and consumers might warm to the idea that anytime viewing brings with it a tradeoff in the form of unavoidable commercial viewing.

"I'm not so sure that the whole issue really is one of commercial avoidance," Shaw said. "It really is a matter of convenience--so you don't miss your favorite show. And quite frankly, we're just training a new generation of viewers to skip commercials because they can. I'm not sure that the driving reason to get a DVR in the first place is just to skip commercials. I don't fundamentally believe that. People can understand in order to have convenience and on-demand (options), that you can't skip commercials."
    [/quote]

Talk about a total idiot. People don't care about commercial fast forwarding? He's right, anytime viewing is important, but being able to FF through a commercial to get to the program faster is right up there at the top of the list.

2. Jul 7, 2006 #2 of 20
    mhalver

mhalver New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    One of the main reasons that people get DVR's is "time shifting", ie being able to watch 2 hour long shows in an hour and a half and gaining 30 minutes. As a graduate student that was a big appeal to me as I can only set aside so much time for watching my shows.

I don't see this as something they need to fight. It should fall upon the advertisers to make more clever adds that people want to watch. Many of us will watch an ad that we find entertaining for some reason. This just means that we have entered a new era where ads must entertain as well as inform.

3. Jul 7, 2006 #3 of 20
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I got a DVR for time shifting as well. I was missing shows I wanted to watch. Plain and simple.

but now that I can FF over commercials I never want to go back.
    so the guy is not an idiot but indeed quite correct on his two main points.

now - how he thinks he will ever get FF turned off is quite a different thing ;)
    either the FF button would have to be gone form the remote and any code to allow it taken out or hacks will easily re-enable it and you can be darn sure I WILL hack my DVR to re-enable it.

and why would TiVo ever take the FF away. What large incentive could they be given to do that to compensate for the immediate backlash that would ensue and I would quite frankly be a willing part of.

4. Jul 7, 2006 #4 of 20
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Hmm, they better take the mute capabilities away from the DVR remote as well. They wouldn't want us silencing the commercials that we're forced to watch. In addition they'll need to remove the ability for a normal non-DVR watcher to change channels while a commercial is on. Don't want people surfing away and back in time to watch the program.

mhalver is right. Make commercials entertaining, don't play too many of them, and don't play the clever ones into the ground and people will watch them.

5. Jul 7, 2006 #5 of 20
    jfelbab

jfelbab WineBoZo

Jan 18, 2002
    Cape Coral, FL
    They had better also be looking at how to disable channel changing and powering down the TV too. That is the only way people would watch most of the crap they call entertainment.

I don't watch commercials period. Not anyone's but most certainly not ABC's.

6. Jul 7, 2006 #6 of 20
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  7. Jul 7, 2006 #7 of 20
    dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Let's keep things in perspective here. Having read the whole article, this is just one "outspoken" exec who was preaching to his own kind, shooting his mouth off about what he would like.

That's one far cry from getting anyone else to do it.

Time to calm down and enjoy the weekend.

8. Jul 7, 2006 #8 of 20
    bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    dtremain makes a good point. Keep in mind that the person making these statements has the title "President of Advertising Sales". Tells you were his priorities lie.

9. Jul 9, 2006 #9 of 20
    jrinck

jrinck Certified Neurotic

Nov 23, 2004
    One day the advertisers are going to skip the broadcasters and simply pay you directly for watching their ads. This will work because you'll get all your shows straight from the internet and will subscribe individually to them. You won't need DirecTV, Dish or Comcast for anything other than live events such as sports and news.

Without commercials, first-run shows will be say, fifty cents each to download and watch. WITH commercials that you can't skip through, they'll be free to download and watch. This will all happen through your DVR that will be connected to the internet.

10. FlWingNut

FlWingNut New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Lake Mary, FL
    While you were in the future, did you check to see who won this year's World Series? ;)

11. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Gee, what do they do about people that leave the room (bathroom break, make a sandwich, etc.) while commercials are on? That is the same as skipping them with a DVR function!

12. herdfan

herdfan New Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Hurricane, WV
    Something like this could help stand-alone DVR makers like TiVo. Could you imagine the Tivo ads comparing their Series 3 vs the cableco DVR and how it won't let you FF through commercials, but the TiVo will.

Could be good for TiVo, Inc.

13. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I read the paper or surf during most shows...this would just affect the total time for a program for me. And make me watch 'less' tv.

are DVR really that prevalent? and WHY do cable companies rent them if the HURT their own business? :)

I honestly still dont understand commercials (except for truly new products or shows etc). I'm not gonna buy colgate or coke because i saw an ad. Ad are insulting to all people. They infer you will buy something because you saw it on tv. I prefer to have my own mind and if i need something will go to the store and look for it.

14. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    Commercial skipping is one of the main reasons I use a DVR. Like someone above said, it allows you to watch more shows in less time.

Some channels have gone overboard with super long commercial breaks, pop ups, flashing icons during shows, large channel logos on during the entire show, etc....

15. FlWingNut

FlWingNut New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Lake Mary, FL
    And chances are you will buy a brand you recognize because of -- TA DA -- commercials. Don't kid yourself. Everybody -- even the posters who claim they are immune from the effects of commercial advertsing -- is indeed affected and influenced by commercials. Don't believe me? Look at yourself. You just regurgitated two brand names -- Coke and Colgate. How do you know about Coke and Colgate? Commercial impressions of some kind. All the reseach shows that people are indeed influenced by commercials. Hence the multi-million dollar ad campaigns we see everyday. Do you think advertisers would spend money for commercials that don't work? We see it over and over -- new commercial campaign, sales go up. You may not directly say to yourself, "I just saw a Coke ad, so I'm going to buy a Coke right now." But next time you're thirsty and have a choice, you just might pick that Coke, even subconciously, becuase of an ad you saw. Most of our product choices are influenced that way.

Advertsing works. We've known that since the 19th century. The forms may change (print ads first, then billboards along America's highways in the 1900's, radio in the 1920's, TV in the 40's, popups in the 90's, etc..) but they work.

16. tnedator

tnedator New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Ummmm, if the advertisers no longer purchase commercial spots because we are all zapping through them, who is going to pay for those CSI, Vegas, 24, American Idol (insert your favorite show here) to be produced?

17. mphare

mphare New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Maybe they can introduce a retina scanner and put the DVR in pause until there is someone in the room to view the commercial.

18. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I still believe there will be equal distribution of purchases even if every commercial was stopped today. Everyone simply doesn't like the same thing. People will buy what they want the 2nd time after they try something new to them. People will not buy coke if they try it once and hate it. Period. So unless it's new and improved coke, advertising to them is a waste.

now shelf placement on supermarket shelves is another area :)

I still would love a world where we could test if people still buy things if there were no ads. (do they have ads at all in china?) Do you think they would stop buying charmin or any other TP if ads stopped. And do you think anyone would 'not' try to buy charmin just because there were no ads for it? Of course not. ads are unnecessary except to give me free tv to tivo through.

I also think America has been brainwashed that if you haven't heard of it before (ie thru an ad), it's probably not good. They have success there, that's for sure. But I call that 'false' advertising since advertised things aren't always better than non advertised things.

19. extension 721

extension 721 Minor Deity of TV

Sep 29, 2005
    they tried this in the late 90's with "alladvantage" which paid you 50 cents an hour to have their banner ads on your screen while you surfed (had to click on things to keep it working) they went bellyup partly because people quickly devised automated ways to trick the system into thinking someone was watching. I'm sure half their income was from tracking internet usage anyway.

TIVO does this very same thing with statistics, selling your TIVO logs of what you watch to nielsen and other companies. It's half the reason TIVO makes it's daily report.

But as commercial-skipping grows, end-user prices of TV programming will go up and up, and the end result may be that all shows will have commercials built-in. Product placement will invade programs, lowering the price. The line between program and commercial will blur.

If you could filter out the ads on a NASCAR racer, and 70% of everyone did it (90% of those with enough money to buy the product) , few companies would sponsor a racer, and NASCAR would have to pay the racers more, and find the money somehow.

Ads make TV cheap. They're what made good ol' antenna channels free for the past half-century. As much as we hate them, we secretly like them because otherwise we'd pay three times as much, or more, for pay-tv.

20. extension 721

extension 721 Minor Deity of TV

Sep 29, 2005
    I agree with you that advertising has become insane, and no, equal distribution would not happen because it would be easier for small businesses to flourish in small areas with advertising gone.

Yes, if advertising stopped, companies could put money into better, cheaper products. Of course, a whole sector of the economy would collapse. Ha!