ABC Family's "The Fallen"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by kyote, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Aug 5, 2007 #1 of 15
    kyote

kyote Who me?

Oct 20, 2001
    modesto.ca
    Did anyone else watch it this weekend? I thought it was pretty good. I had plenty of free time on my hands this weekend so I watched the whole series over the weekend. There was worse things I could have done with my time. :) What do you guys and gals think? Did you like/hate it?

2. Aug 5, 2007 #2 of 15
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I even rewatched the movie so I could remember what was going on.

I haven't watched today's offerings yet, but I enjoyed yesterdays.

One thing that bugged me, they kept referring to it as a trilogy, but there were 4 episodes.
    Might be there were referring to Friday, Saturday and Sunday as the trilogy part.

phox

3. Aug 6, 2007 #3 of 15
    kyote

kyote Who me?

Oct 20, 2001
    modesto.ca
    I think your right. the original movie was one part. then the next four episodes made up the next two parts.

4. Aug 6, 2007 #4 of 15
    mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    I was annoyed by the "trilogy" thing too. Seriously, since when does a trilogy have 5 parts?

But, the 4 new 1 hour episodes as listed in the guide data were actually aired as two 2 hour episodes (no closing and opening credits in the middle - just a lot of extra commercials to fill the time), so technically the guide data was wrong. I figured it would be so I scheduled only the first new eps on sat and sun and padded the end by an hour.

5. Aug 6, 2007 #5 of 15
    whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Wait, is this a continuation of what came out last year? Or the same thing?

6. Aug 6, 2007 #6 of 15
    phox_mulder

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Yes.

Last year there was a 2 hour movie.

Then there was rumors of another movie, or maybe a miniseries.

This year there were 4 1 hour episodes, I say this because they each had independent titles.

Doesn't look like they are repeating anytime soon, so you missed it.

I set up a wishlist after last years movie, that's how I found out about it.
    I'm pretty sure there was a discussion here within the past couple of weeks as well.
    Might have been in the season pass alert section.

phox

7. Aug 6, 2007 #7 of 15
    jboehm

jboehm New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    I enjoyed it. I was impressed by the writing. They did a good job. Generally they were ... how should I say ... "very creative" with there theological references. Who ever wrote this has some experience with the book of Enoch. I was impressed that they used some of the correct name for the "fallen" and the "powers."

According to the book of Enoch, all of the Watchers, aka "the Fallen," where bound before the great flood, not just Azazel. They were forced to witness the destruction of there children, the Nephilim by civil war. The Nephilim, while they were alive, were sadistic and evil. They murdered and enslaved man kind and practiced cannibalism among themselves. After the Nephilim's death the the Watchers were thrown bound into the abyss. The dead Nephilim became disembodied spirits they are doomed to roam the earth as evil spirits.

For a cliff note version of this section of the book of Enoch. See this:
    http://www.thebookofenoch.info/html/DescentOfTheWatchers.html

8. Aug 6, 2007 #8 of 15
    kyote

kyote Who me?

Oct 20, 2001
    modesto.ca
    I'm fascinated by the whole Fallen Angels, Nephilim, thing. I find the whole subject very intriquing. Of course, since it's so interesting, it seems to be something you won't hear about at your reqular Sunday services. I can't imagine why, the whole idea of angels coming to heaving, fathering children with human wives (where were the female angels???) and then having their offspring destroyed before their eyes would get me in to church more often. It's like a movie! :p

9. Aug 7, 2007 #9 of 15
    jboehm

jboehm New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    While this topic is truly entertaining. It has very little practical relevance out side of a very narrow field of faith application. This all assumes that the Book of Enoch is even genuine. It is not a part of any official faith cannon, and should not be used as a basis for a fundamental faith foundation.

Church is about gathering to collectively enter the presence of the Creator and giving God space to give us his Call for our lives. A lesson on the book of Enoch really doesn't fit nicely into this space.

PS. I saw a really interesting public service commercial during the trailer run at a drive-in recently. It said something like "Exercises your right to freedom of religion. Attend Church every week." I thought that was ... odd ... -- tying patriotism to having an active faith walk. Still don't know what I think about that.

10. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Faith? Since I don't base my religion on any ancient writings, I had no problem with the theology of this thing. It seems like some well done Fantasy to me. I am happy that it is based on some ancient writings though, that gives it a sense of authenticity being based on ancient mythology.

11. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    That sucks. I liked it, if it is coming back around and someone notices it. Remembering me in a PM would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the skinny on this round of episodes!

Steve

12. phox_mulder

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I still have my Wishlist intact, in case they decide to re-revisit the subject matter.

phox

13. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I enjoyed them, including rewatching the first two hours from last year.

But I echo what most people here said... the method of promoting this as a "trilogy" yet thoroughly messing up the guide information by having the first 2 hours as a "movie" then the next 4 hours as 4 1-hour episodes which were then cut as if they were two 2-hour movies, was really annoying. It's like there was a war going on between the programming department and the marketing department at ABC Family. The also referred to the final 2 hours by yet another name, at one point,t hough I forget what it was now.

14. phox_mulder

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Promos had the episodes called one thing, announcer over the credits of other shows called them something else, and guide data had something totally different listed.

At one point I was wondering if I was TiVo'ing the right shows, or was going to miss them altogether.

Especially Sunday night when I had to split them up due to 2 other shows recording at the same time as one of the hours.

phox

15. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    FYI this is being repeated on ABC Family Saturday, August 25, 2007.

All times Eastern:

4pm-6pm - Fallen (original movie)

6pm-7pm - Fallen: The Time of the Redeemer
    7pm-8pm - Fallen: Mysterious Ways & All That
    8pm-9pm - Fallen: Someone Always Has To Die
    9pm-10pm - Fallen: Il Gran Rifiuto

10pm-11pm - Fallen: Someone Always Has To Die
    11pm-12am - Fallen: Il Gran Rifiuto