ABC Considering an Alias Reboot

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by WhiskeyTango, May 28, 2010.

1. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey

Advertisements

In order to hold onto the Lost audience and the failure of Flashforward, ABC is in very early talks of possibly bringing Alias back for a second go around minus the Rambaldi mythology of the original.

I loved the original Alias and don't know how I'd feel about this. It could be cool if they do it right, or it could ruin the legacy of the show if this bombs since it aired only a few years ago.

What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? ABC needs a new idea?

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b183148_this_alias_20_news_too_good_be_true.html

2. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I enjoyed Alias but lost interest in it when it got a bit out there.

As a spy show it was fun though.

3. Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Why not? Someone is rebooting La Femme Nikita ... which I suspect will enjoy as much success as the Bionic Woman reboot a couple of years ago.

4. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I would definitely watch. Alias Season 1 was one of the best seasons of TV ever.

5. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...

Advertisements

Ditto!

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Sweet!!
    I would love Alias to be back. It was the first show that I watched the entire series in HD.

7. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    I'm not so sure they could pull it off. Even without the Rambaldi crap the show was quickly falling into ridiculousness. If they continue with the "anywhere in the world within 1 hour" travel and high-tech that can do anything from anywhere then it could get silly fast.

8. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    The problem is, in order to have a successful reboot, they'd have to go back to the time when Sydney was working for SD-6 and thought it was a good organization. Once she learned that SD-6 was bad and started working directly for the CIA, things went downhill.

But having already seen the series play out with Sydney knowing about SD-6, won't it be weird if they create a new version of the series where Sydney goes for several seasons without ever finding out the truth about Sloane and SD-6?

9. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    If they could put in the same quality and complexity of the first couple seasons of Alias (and somehow not lose as many people :D), then I'm all for it. Although I'm not sure they would be able to have a premiere with the same punch as the original version.

J.J. should bring Joss in as an HCKA (Hot Chicks Kicking Ass) consultant for this.

10. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Red or black?

But yeah... I'd check it out.. maybe with Sydney/Vaughn's daughter in the future or something? Played by... hm... Summer Glau, Zoe Saldana (recessive gene?) ;), or a relatively unknown newcomer like Garner was in 2001.

I think I'm one of the few that was genuinely interested in the Rambaldi stuff and did some of the "online quests" to get more info, but I understand that sort of mythology is hard to write for and maintain consistency. <o> :)

It's been so long - can someone remind me? I remember Sloane gained the immortality he was after at the expense of Nadia, but got buried alive?

I think I remember that Sydney's mom dies, but I can't remember how.

EDIT: Oh yeah! I kind of remember this - Sydney and Vaughn are semi-retired and married, with a second child named Jack in honor of Sydney's father. Daughter Isabelle exhibits the same ability to complete the CIA test that marked Sydney's inborn skills to be an ideal agent at that age. However after completing the puzzle she casually knocks it over, perhaps signaling that she will not follow in her mother's footsteps.

11. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    Um, wasn't that the first episode? :)

I think what you mean is when SD-6 was destroyed, and they began working out of the CIA building. Unlike a lot of people, I actually liked the second half of the season after SD-6 was destroyed. But then it did get kind of stale, I agree.

This time they shouldn't destroy SD-6 unless they have a more interesting plan than turning Alias into a more generic spy show.

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yeah, you're right. I was thinking that the first season she worked as an unknowing SD-6 agent, but I forgot that she was told in the pilot that SD-6 was bad, and then she spent a season and a half as a double agent until CIA took out SD-6. That was the best part of the show. I'll try to pretend the giant red happy fun ball didn't exist.

13. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Another article mentioned that it would probably be something similar to the new spy shows like Covert Affairs or Nikita and JJ won't be involved because he's working on his own new spy show Undercovers.

14. AlphaDelta

AlphaDelta Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    When your employer kills your fiance, you don't really need to be told that they're bad. :p

15. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The first season and a half, which were much more character oriented and more cerebral were quite good. After that, it took a nosedive, when ABC decided that audiences were stupid and wouldn't be able to follow a well-thought-out character based drama and turned it into "what skin tight outfit can we squeeze Sydney into this week?"

I don't think a reboot would work this soon after the show aired, though.

16. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Eff that, I won't watch.

Fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again.

17. jking

jking Become who you are.

Mar 23, 2005
    Kentucky
    I loved Alias, as most have said here, the first couple of seasons at least. Although I did stick around for the entire series. Whether a reboot would work or not, I don't know. I just find it sad that there's apparently so little good original material out there that they feel the need to recycle a series that's not even been off the air for 5 years.

18. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    See, the Rambaldi mythology was actually a great part of it, or rather, it had a lot of potential to be good, but they went off the rails and turned it into total crap.

What I want to know is this: was there a proper vision that JJ had for the Rambaldi arc that just ended up getting scrod thanks to network meddling, or was he just randomly pulling it out his ass from the very beginning and thus was doomed to be crap no matter what?

If it was the former, then I very much would be interested in seeing a show that told the story of that original vision.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure that it's probably the latter.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    They've been recycling material for music, TV , and movies for decades. This is nothing new. Very little content is brand new nowadays. It's mostly regurgitated stuff.

20. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Agent Marshall Flinkman (singing his son to sleep): Hush... hush... hush little Mitchell, don't you cry. Daddy's here to teach you about Lanthanides. Cerium is first, yes it leads the way. Hexagonal structure and it's iron gray. Praseodymium is next and it looks like brass...

"My name is Marshall J. Flinkman... I'm here to rescue you."

Loved that character. :)