AAM for Western Digital drives?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by mln01, Jan 15, 2006.

1. mln01

mln01 Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Charlotte

Advertisements

I am replacing a failed hard drive in a Series 1 Philips HDR-212 with a new 160MB Western Digital Caviar SE. I've read in this forum that I should use an AAM utility to set the drive to quiet mode but it isn't clear to me how and when I do this. Plus, WD doesn't offer an AAM utililty at its Web site.

First, is there another manufacturer's AAM utility that will work on the WD drive? I thought I saw a link to Seagate or Hitachi while browsing the forums last week but I couldn't find it again today.

Second, if I am setting up the new drive with MFStools on a machine that otherwise runs Windows XP when and how do I use the AAM utility?

Thanks,

Mike
    Charlotte

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I'd use the AAM utility before imaging the drive.

3. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
  4. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Nobody has yet answered the main question as to whether the AAM program will work with any manufacturer's drive or only with their own.

5. HoosierTivoDaddy

HoosierTivoDaddy New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Northern IN

Advertisements

I believe that it works on Westerns and Hitachi. Does not work on Seagate and I don't know about Maxtor.

6. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    because Seagate does not support AAM.

7. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    I've never used AAM on WD and have never needed to. I have three TiVo's within a few feet of each other and only about eight feet from my easy chair using four WD drives and I never hear any of them.

8. Pauli

Pauli New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Long Beach, CA
    Perhaps you should get your hearing checked.

I have a recent 160GB WD drive in my DirecTiVo unit with AAM activated AND sitting on soft Sorbothane strips and I can still hear it's seek noise from about 10 feet away (very faintly). I also have another one of these drives without AAM enabled in my computer and the seek noise is pretty noticeable.

9. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    The Hitachi tool works on Samsung drives. I think AAM is a S.M.A.R.T. command, so it is supposed to be the same for all the different hard drives.

10. Micosm

Micosm New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Because all newer Seagates are shipped w/ AAM automatically enabled and they don't allow you to disable it.

11. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    That's 100% wrong information.

12. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    This is why the same drive would sound quiet to some people and noisy to other people. :)

13. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    Maybe because I'm rarely in the easy chair without the TV on?

14. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    Then again, I can stand right next to all three and barely hear any seeks.

15. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    Sometimes not being able to hear well is a blessing. You can use whatever hard drive you want, among other things. :)

16. Micosm

Micosm New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Sorry about that, I remembered reading that the 7200.7 PATA drives came locked in quiet mode and for some reason I posted before reading very much about the 7200.8 and 7200.9 models. Apparently Seagate's using a proprietary internal acoustic manager that adjusts itself in SATA drives depending on your chipset and controller. The general consensus seems to be that the newer PATA Seagates are locked into performance mode. Either way, there seems to be a form of acoustic management present in the firmware, but no way for users to toggle between quiet and performance modes.

17. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    Seek noise can be reduced by slowing down the movement of the head assembly, which decreases performance. That should be independent of the PATA/SATA interface and the host controller. Earlier Seagates supported AAM, but they took it out due to patent issues. For the same 7200.7 family, 120GB and 160GB are generally much quieter than 200GB for some reason, all without AAM. I tried Seagate 7200.7 200GB in my TiVo and could not stand it. Hopefully with Seagate's purchase of Maxtor, they'll put AAM back. 5-year warranty and AAM would be an excellent combination.

18. jshorr

jshorr New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Is there ever any NOTICEABLE performance issue when turning accoustic management to quiet on a TiVo drive? I am interested in making a new Western Digital 160GB quieter. Would I have any problems with the TiVo turning it all the way down? Thanks.

19. jshorr

jshorr New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Also can you use the Hitachi tool on a Maxtor drive, and if so will it turn it any lower than the maxtor AMSET utility?

20. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    Performance shouldn't be an issue, even for high definition streams.