A93 Mini refusing to connect to OTA Bolt, even though Bolt is visible on list

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by DarthDiablo, Dec 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. DarthDiablo

DarthDiablo New Member

Dec 31, 2020

Advertisements

Background: We have been using the same Mini (just 1) and Bolt for the last 4 years without much issue (other than occasional Mini cannot connect to Bolt error which I'll cover below). For reference, both our Mini and Bolt devices are connected via ethernet.

Just got a A93 Mini cannot connect to OTA Bolt issue. I get this issue occasionally especially after I adjust network/router settings, but this time I'm not able to get past this one, it has been at least 12 hours since we are first aware of this issue.

We did get a brand new router (same brand.. from Netgear to another Netgear), but connecting to internet doesn't seem to be an issue for both Bolt and Mini. Able to successfully force both of those devices to connect to TiVo service with no issue. Bolt has full TiVo functionality (live shows, guide, etc), while Mini cannot because for some reason it still cannot "find" the Bolt.

The odd thing is Bolt IS visible on the host DVR list in settings on Mini - just not available or accessible (showing the crossed-out icon). Refreshing the host DVR list doesn't do anything. Getting C421 and V70 errors depending on where I end up in Mini's menu interface. Another odd thing is if I have my Bolt renamed to something else, Mini IS aware of the name change - it shows the same host DVR with new name, but not available/accessible to be connected toward.

I have already tried cycling the devices. 4 minutes unplugged for Bolt, plugged it back in, forced it to connect to TiVo service twice, then did the same with Mini, to no avail. Tried various other things. At my wit's end. Any suggestions I can try here?

2. Jan 1, 2021 #2 of 16
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Check for an IGMP Snooping or IGMP Proxy setting in the Netgear router and, if enabled, disable it.

3. Jan 1, 2021 #3 of 16
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    In case it's not in the above list:
    igmp_proxying.png

What model is your new router?

krkaufman likes this.
  4. Jan 1, 2021 #4 of 16
    DarthDiablo

DarthDiablo New Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Was already disabled when I checked :( (see attached screenshot)

Nighthawk R8000P

Attached Files:

5. Jan 1, 2021 #5 of 16
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Maybe something in the log file can help. Usually there is a ton a stuff there, so don't expect it to jump out with your answer. I reboot all my stuff on the last day of the month (yesterday) which includes two A93 Mini and 3 Roamio. I've never had a problem. Most items have reservations.

6. Jan 1, 2021 #6 of 16
    DarthDiablo

DarthDiablo New Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Yeah, both my BOLT and Mini has reserved IP addresses too to prevent those devices from jumping around in assigned IPs from DHCP. I'll clear out the admin logs and take a look at any entries that shows up when I attempt to get Mini connected to BOLT.

7. Jan 1, 2021 #7 of 16
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Are both devices directly connected to the Nighthawk, or are any network switches involved?

8. Jan 1, 2021 #8 of 16
    DarthDiablo

DarthDiablo New Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Yes, unmanaged switches. Mini (among with Nintendo Switch, Vizio Smart TV, and maybe a couple I'm missing) is connected through 8-port switch seen here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A121WN6 (so this switch is sitting between Mini and Nighthawk)

Bolt has 5-port version switch sitting between itself and Nighthawk https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A128S24

I probably should have specified in my OP (if I haven't already) that Nighthawk itself is connected to our own cable modem (a Netgear N450, which I have login for), and is not leased from Spectrum (our internet provider). Never had to fiddle with cable modem thru the years so I didn't think to mention it in OP

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  9. Jan 1, 2021 #9 of 16
    DarthDiablo

DarthDiablo New Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Update: I was reading through this years old thread Problems with TiVo mini through Gigabit switch , saw a comment where someone said he got Mini to connect to host by ENABLING IGMP snooping.

Just for fun I tried that, and my Mini connects to host fine now! I can watch live TV, see guide, etc.

Maybe this issue "fixed" itself and me fiddling around with IGMP snooping/proxing is a coincidence - because I was on chat with TiVo support yesterday who told me to go and powercycle my Mini (which obviously I have already tried before contacting support), but before I had a chance to follow those instructions, the Mini issue mysteriously went away, I told support what I observed, thanked rep for her "magic touch", the issue seems to have fixed itself somehow, etc. ... only for the issue to return minutes later after I disconnect from chat support ugh.

Just to make sure I understand, IGMP proxing and IGMP snooping is the same thing right? The label next to checkbox (currently unchecked, which seems to get my Mini working again) says "Disable IGMP Proxying". And also I want to make sure I understand if there is any potential side effects of keeping IGMP Proxying enabled that I should watch out for or be aware of?

Hopefully this issue remains fixed for good (not temporarily like last night after being on chat support with TiVo), we'll see.

kpeters59 likes this.
  10. DarthDiablo

DarthDiablo New Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Another update: Was able to watch TV on Mini for about 10-15 minutes before it lost connection with BOLT again. I hit option to return to TiVo Central, and the features (grid, live TV, etc) are back again. Back to watching live TV again, but loses connection again after about 10 or so seconds. This symptom is repeated with roughly same amount of time and between those I made sure the ethernet cable from Mini to the switch is secure (disconnected and plugging it back in, ensuring it's not loose). The (newish) problem still persists.. can watch live TV (which I guess is some progress compared to 12 hours ago) before disconnecting again.

I'm going to revert router back to "Disable IGMP proxying" and retest things out. Will edit this comment with my observations shortly.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A switch has "snooping" and a router has "proxying". For further information you will need to use Google since I don't understand 10% of the process.

IGMP snooping - Wikipedia

12. DarthDiablo

DarthDiablo New Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Issue still persists after I reverted router back to disable IGMP proxying.

My apologies in advance if this issue is unrelated to TiVo in general. I just noticed the port #3 light on Nighthawk is orange when all others are white. #3 happens to be the router port the Mini & switch is connected to. I switched the ethernet cable between router ports #3 and #4, and #4 is now orange on router. I might have a hardware issue somewhere that is interfering with Mini's ability to run. Not sure why this is now an issue with new router, but I need to isolate this issue and figure out where the issue could be (switch? ethernet wiring between our ethernet wall outlet and our Mini? etc).

Update: Unfortunately it seems to be an issue with the ethernet wiring that runs between the ethernet outlet in family room and the office (where the router is) which runs thru our attic. Isn't the switch or the Mini ethernet cable, I ruled those out (by directly connecting a different ethernet cable between Mini and the ethernet outlet). I might need to hire professionals to look at the wiring issue but first I need to find out exactly what it means when orange LED light is blinking (what info does that convey exactly), looking thru Netgear router documentation right now. Thanks all for the help so far!

Update 2: So the orange light is telling me ethernet wiring is running at 10/100 Mbps rather than 1000 Mbps like the rest of ports are. What is the requirement that Mini has for ethernet connection speeds here? I'm still a bit puzzled - the Netgear iOS app is reporting that Mini has link speed of 1000, but the LEDs on both the router ethernet port and the switch the Mini is connected to is showing all orange (10/100, not 1000). Still, something for me to look into.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A92 and A93 Mini are 100Mbps. A95 is 1Gbps.

14. DarthDiablo

DarthDiablo New Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Thanks. I have A93. Would 7 Mbps be sufficient for Mini working with Bolt? This is what the Netflix app in Mini was reporting when doing the connection speed test. For comparison, the Netflix on BOLT TiVo is reporting 37 Mbps.

Although I'm trying to understand why this particular ethernet wiring is causing LEDs to blink amber/yellow for 10/100 rather than white for 1000 like the other ethernet wiring's are doing. This is something I need to talk about with the company that did the wiring work in our roof. Something's a-missing here. IDK if this is what is causing issues with Mini but it's the only lead I have for now.

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You need at least CAT-5e for 1Gbps, so change the cable.

I don't have Netflix, so no way to measure the speed. I have no problems with Prime on my Mini (A93 and A95) boxes.

16. DarthDiablo

DarthDiablo New Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Yeah, 7 Mbps would (should be) enough for Netflix - I watched Netflix on Mini yesterday (while Mini still is unable to connect to BOLT) I was more of curious if 7 Mbps would be something that cause issues with my Mini's ability to connect to BOLT. I'm not sure what the minimum link speed requirement is in order for Mini to be able to work reliably with BOLT across ethernet.

Yes, the ethernet wiring that runs thru my attic between walls needs to be replaced with at least CAT-5e for Gbps, but would something like having 7 Mbps cause Mini to be unstable with BOLT? Mini was able to connect to BOLT yesterday and show me live TV and guide for few minutes, before losing connection again. I guess this is the primary suspect? I guess I'm asking if it would make sense that this could be the issue - and that I'm not chasing a red herring.

I suppose I should test Mini on other parts of my network where it's 1 GBPs and where there is a TV and an ethernet port I can connect to. There is kids' TV room, I could test it there. Would help me feel more confident whether or not the 10/100 wiring could be the issue.