A92 mini IR options

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by azmp1, Dec 23, 2019.

1. azmp1

azmp1 Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Maryland
    Are there any options at all for the IR a92s, that can allow placement behind the TV?
    I don’t think there’s a an option for a remote IR sensor, unless you can use USB for it?
    Or maybe an IR blaster?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Use an IR Blaster/repeater, see my previous post yesterday regarding the actual location of the IR receiver on the original mini - Mini v1

3. azmp1

azmp1 Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Maryland
    Cool, thanks, so the IR blaster just gets placed on location where the IR receiver on the mini is?

4. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    on, near, just as long as the light from the repeater reaches the receiver on the mini.

helpful trick, many digital cameras including those on cell phones (EXCEPT Apple devices) will show the pulsing light from an IR device, just point the IR transmitter eg. remote control at the camera and you'll see the light flashing when you press a button.

-TL

5. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Why IR only? Do you only have an IR remote and don’t want to consider getting a new one?

If your remote can do RF, I recommend getting the RF dongle, which will work with your mini.

6. azmp1

azmp1 Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Maryland
    Thank you, very helpful!

7. azmp1

azmp1 Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Maryland
    Are you saying the a92 will support RF dongle via USB? That’s not a bad idea either, if that’s the case, as I would prefer an RF remote.
    I didn’t think the 92 supported RF at all and/or USB RF dongle...

8. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    The A92 Mini will work with the USB RF dongle along with the standard RF Roamio/A93 remote or the Slide Pro remote.

But honestly, it would probably be about the same cost to just buy a used A93 Mini on ebay and sell the A92 Mini on ebay than to buy the dongle and RF remote. And if it were me, I would prefer having an A93 Mini with integrated RF support over the A92 Mini with RF dongle. It just seems like a more elegant solution.

9. azmp1

azmp1 Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Maryland
    Makes sense, thanks!

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    azmp1 likes this.