A/V volume and mute just quit working.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by wolfie3216, Apr 27, 2011.

1. wolfie3216

wolfie3216 New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    I have an Onkyo tx-sr503 hooked up to my Tivo Series 3. Last night, the a/v volume and mute capability of the tivo remote quit working. The batteries are known good. Everything else on the remote works fine. I can see the lights blink on the tivo when trying to change to volume, but nothing happens. I tried using different codes for the Onkyo. I've restarted my Tivo. Nothing seems to work.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this type of issue. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Wolf

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Don't know what the problem is but it has nothing to do with your TiVo, thus no point in rebooting it etc. The blinking light on the TiVo is at least telling you the remote is putting out a signal.

3. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    I assume that the Onkyo is connected to the Tivo by either a HDMI or Toslink cable. Try re-seating both ends of the cable. Maybe they have become somewhat dislodged.

UPDATE: What was I thinking? jbernardis, below, is right.

4. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    The av and power functions go directly from your remote control to your AV receiver. When you use the tivo to program your remote, it is only guiding you - the actual programming is IN your remote. Rebooting the tivo, or reseating cables, will have nothing to do with it - the Tivo is not involved at all.

I can offer no explanations for why it's happened, but if it happened to me, I'd try going through the remote control programming steps again.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Rummage through the couch cushions 'til you find the original Onkyo remote and see if that works on the Onkyo.

Although it probably needs new batteries by now.

6. wolfie3216

wolfie3216 New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Thanks for all the replies. I have successfully diagnosed the problem. Apparently, the volume and mute features don't work with certain types of NimH rechargeable batteries in the Tivo Remote. I know it sounds strange, but I am able to reproduce the behavior. With Sony NiMH rechargeable batteries, all functions of the remote work except mute and volume control. When using Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables, all remote functions work like they should.

Thanks again for the posts.

Wolf

PS- I highly recommend the Eneloop Batteries. Rechargeable battery technology has come a long way.

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B000IV2YLY

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Perhaps because the TiVo remote was designed to use regular non-rechargeable batteries, which have a little more "oomph"*

Regular batteries are nominally 1.5 Volts, and rechargables nominally, if memory serves, 1.2 or 1.3 V.

And then there may well be a difference in internal impedence as well.

You've found an instance in which the Sanyo batteries outperform the Sony in a device and application designed for neither.

*That's one of those highly technical terms.:)