a/v receiver recommendations

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by richwiss, Nov 20, 2011.

1. richwiss

richwiss New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Hi all,

I've been trying to buy a new receiver, but everytime I think I've found one, I see a reviewer of the receiver saying that their TiVo had audio issues over HDMI (likely due to HDCP issues).

Can we try and make a list of the receivers that work with Tivo HD and Tivo Premier units using HDMI?

I'd like the receivers to be somewhat new, but if you have an older one you can't resist on adding, can you also add the approximate year you purchased it? Hopefully such a list will help a lot of people!

Thanks,

Rich

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Better yet, how about a list of receivers without HDMI, so that you won't be tempted to use it?

3. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Maybe it's my old eyes, but I can't see any real advantage of using HDMI for the Tivo. I have had issues with it before (both audio and occasionally a nice pink video) so I just use either component or composite. I do like having HDMI for hooking up my Blu-Ray player and my laptop but not the Tivos.

4. c_franklin

c_franklin New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Also look for issues with the output format on Tivo changing with some receivers when using HDMI. Apparently the handshake for the display information isn't correctly implemented on either the Tivo or the receiver side.

I prefer to keep my TivoHD in native and do all my resampling once in the display. However when the HDMI is routed through my Yamaha receiver Tivo always switches to 720p. It is really annoying.

Many of posts about the problem (lookup EDID issues). I contacted both manufactures and they blamed each other. Some claim a work around was put into the newer tivo models, but the second tier support people couldn't confirm it.

There are lots of work arounds (route HDMI to direct to TV, use component, control power up/down sequence,...) None of them are desirable.

5. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    I have a current Yamaha receiver and I do not think I have this issue with the Premiere. I 'll run some tests tonight to be sure.

6. bueller555

bueller555 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I have a new, low end Denon AVR-1612. Works fine with my Tivo HD via HDMI. My biggest issue is that the Denon uses separate power on and standby signals. I had to get a new remote to handle both commands.

7. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    I've gone through many. In the end my only recommendation is Denon. Might be pricey but they are so worth it. Rock Solid.

8. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    I leave mine on constant standby and just send it the On signal through the TIVO remove.

9. TrueEddie

TrueEddie Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I just got a Denon AVR-1712, I'm having no issues using the Premiere via HDMI.

10. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    It hasn't much to do with your eyes. A display of a proper component signal is humanly indistinguishable from one with an HDMI signal source. The main advantages of HDMI are automatic resolution negotiation and the use of a single connector, smaller cable for both audio and video. A 5 or 6 input HDMI reciver can be a heck of a lot smaller than an analog receiver with the same number of inputs, and the cable clutter is a small fraction of that of an analog system.

That's a fluke. When properly operational, all digital video should be completely identical, not just humanly indistinguishable. Any system can suffer an one-off issue, though. I had a projector that had persistent intermittent video problems with its component input.

11. bueller555

bueller555 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    How do you put it back to Standby?

12. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Bueller, my Onkyo has the same problem. I leave it turned on but press the mute button on the Tivo remote to kill the sound when I turn the TV off.

13. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Actually, I think it is the particular TV that I've tried it on. I had the same audio problem when I used the cable company HD decoder box with an HDMI cable. It's an Olevia that I bought about 4 years ago. The rest of the TV works great but it just doesn't seem to handle HDMI very well.