A second TiVo - do I need to subscribe if...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Pedel, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Pedel

Pedel New Member

Jan 17, 2006

Advertisements

I'm new to the forum - so thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I'm a new convert to TiVo. I have a Series 2 and have it networked. I'd like to add a second TiVo to just watch shows in another room. If I were to buy a second TiVo (e.g. used off EBay), could I connect it to my network and transfer shows from my main TiVo if I don't have a subscription to the second TiVo?

Basically, I'm asking if I can use the second TiVo as just a reciever of shows off of the main one without paying a second monthly fee. I know that if I want to record shows on the second one I need a subscription, but not sure if I need to have it just to watch shows I passed over from the first. Thanks.

2. netserf57

netserf57 New Member

Nov 7, 2005
    Severn, MD

Bad news/Good news. Bad news is second TiVo needs a subscription to do peer to peer networking. Good news is that it is only $7.99 a month for the second TiVo.

3. Pedel

Pedel New Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Thanks for the quick reply! Oh well - it was worth asking....

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Actually, additional units are only $6.95/month.

http://www.tivo.com/1.6.2.asp#MSD

5. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...

Advertisements

Yes, if all he wants to do is use it in his networking but not carry any guide data or doing any calling in or recording of shows, then it does seem like a raw deal that he should have to subscribe it.

6. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    As long as TiVo wants to sell hardware at or below cost, they're going to continue "encouraging" a subscription, even if you want to use it as a doorstop ;)

7. hitbyatrain

hitbyatrain Your Hero

Aug 15, 2004
    Austin
    If he wants, he can use the Tivo2Go functionality to push shows to his desktop PC, and then burn them to DVDs which he can THEN watch on his other television.

8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    well as long as he pays 200$ and covers all the hardware costs then maybe that is valid, but at what benefit to TiVo who is in business to make a return on the TiVos sold. So all Series 2 needs a subscription.

PS congrats to the OP for quickly hitting the "ask a question covered in many, many threads already" milestone ;) Welocme to the TiVolution

9. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Or just buy a product such as Terk Leapfrog which will send the TiVo signal to another TV in the house. No messing with transferring shows.