A Sci-Fi Friday Breakup?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jerobi, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Mar 8, 2006 #1 of 21
    jerobi

jerobi News/Deal Junkie

Sep 28, 2000

Advertisements

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr.cgi?id=20060308scifi01

I can't decide how I feel about this. On one hand, it means that we'll have a solid chunk of months (July-December) where a SciFi Friday show will be new. On the other hand, I get pretty psyched leading up the days when SG1/Atlantis/BSG trio starts each mini-season together.

2. Mar 8, 2006 #2 of 21
    ravonaf

ravonaf New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    It's actually pretty smart. I imagine when there are no new shows thier ratings drop. I would go one step further. I would break up Atlantis and SG1. Maybe have it so you would always have something new all all year round.

3. Mar 8, 2006 #3 of 21
    jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    The real question is, when does Sky air season 3?

You couldn't break up SG1 and Atlantis, since there are the occasional cross-overs, or at least references to the other show.

4. Mar 8, 2006 #4 of 21
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    :( Sadly... I find this as bad news....

This means that the HD-Versions for BSG on Universal HD won't air till nearly next summer...

After watching in HD... it is just so freaking hard to watch it in the compressed (quality) SD version

5. Mar 8, 2006 #5 of 21
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

One rumor is that the reason they're moving it to the Fall season, when Sci-Fi doesn't want to compete with the networks, is because it will air on NBC (owner of Sci-Fi). If so, we'll get the HD right away!

6. Mar 8, 2006 #6 of 21
    darthrsg

darthrsg New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    post 911...
    moving to nbc will suck. the show will go too mainstream and you may not see things like the cylon torture and such. and i dont think "frak" will fly either. my 2 cents.

7. Mar 8, 2006 #7 of 21
    Dmon4u

Dmon4u Unresponsive User

Jul 15, 2000
    PA
    Perhaps they'll pair it up with Dr.Who, if that becomes a hit here in the U.S. !

Come to think of it, I wish they had a show with new episodes, now, to pair with Dr. Who since it starts on the 17th.

8. Mar 8, 2006 #8 of 21
    jerobi

jerobi News/Deal Junkie

Sep 28, 2000
    Indeed. The "frak" issue along would be a huge issue.

9. Mar 8, 2006 #9 of 21
    darthrsg

darthrsg New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    post 911...
    not to mention the abortion debates, the god/gods thing, chiefs' violence on cally,
    ripping the pants off a prisoner and about to "get it on"...
    hell, what else.
    the average "joey" and "dateline" crowd will have nothing to do with it.
    the series is highly respected where it is. i don't think it will get any more viewers on NBC.
    plus i like the little scifi interstitials(fire breathing baby).
    leave it to corporate to F**K it up for everybody.

10. boywaja

boywaja Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Northern...
    right cause no network show would ever have torture scenes. Oh wait. 24.

11. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    They said "frak" on the family-friendly BSG series that aired on ABC in the 70s.

12. jimmymac

jimmymac New Member

Nov 6, 2002
    Yeah, but that was the 70s, well before Janet Jackson exposed her boob on TV and organizations like PTC were hounding the FCC.

13. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...

Perhaps I missed something in the quoted article but where does it say the show is moving to NBC? The very first line of the quote says "Season 3 Set to Premiere on SCI FI in October". The Sci-Fi channel has been owned by NBC for quite some time now.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It doesn't. That's just a rumor that's going around.

15. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    Oh, I agree 100%. Moving to over-the-air TV would ruin the show! Those are the great things they can only get away with on cable and part of what makes it unique.

Frankly, I'm disappointed there won't be a partial season starting in July like we saw last year. I was really expecting BSG would do that again and continue to be different from other shows. Sadly, they're falling into the same old mold (that I have trouble dealing with).

Cheryl

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL New Member

May 10, 2005
    But we wouldn't have to deal with the crappy picture quality that Sci-Fi is giving us. It's almost unwatchable on my big screen anymore.

As for saying "Frak" they would still have that on NBC, they didn't beep the word when they re-showed the episodes on NBC.

I don't see how it would change just moving networks. I think it would be a good thing for both BSG and NBC. It would only hurt for Sci-Fi but if their PQ gets any worse the channel won't be watchable anyways.

17. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    Have they pushed it back? I thought Dr Who was starting tomorrow - (10th)

18. digdug

digdug New Member

Jan 13, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I was all confused last week too. Since I don't watch the commercials, I had no idea the season finale of BSG was 3/10. Doctor Who starts up on 3/17.

So...maybe Doctor Who will go on through till October when BSG starts back up, with SG-1 and SGA starting up in July?

I had thought that season nine of SG-1 was it, no more SG-1. Guess I heard wrong.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    There are only 13 episodes, so it won't go anywhere near that long. I suspect Who will just fill in until Stargate returns...

20. digdug

digdug New Member

Jan 13, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Ah, I didn't realize that. Well I'll roll with it and look at this as my introduction into Doctor Who. Years ago I watched The Ark in Space with a buddy, but don't remember much about it. No impressions one way or another at this point.