A Sad Goodbye to TiVo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bythecshore, Jun 29, 2006.

1. bythecshore

bythecshore New Member

May 20, 2006

Advertisements

I'm sad to say goodbye to TiVo. I just bought a 50" plasma so of course had to upgrade to hi-def cable.

Due to lack of a TiVo hi-def product, I was forced to go with Comcast's DVR, which is an inferior product. Lots of glitches... already had it replaced once. (But the hi-def is worth it).

So TiVo... whre's your hi-def product? When I called up to cancel today, the rep said, "maybe by the end of the year". How can this be? Who's asleep at the switch? How could you not have one of these already!!!!!????? You must literally be losing thousands of customers a day - and we'll be hard to win back once we've got another brand installed.

Someone in management's not doing their job.

2. PRMan

PRMan New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Yorba...
    It's on DirecTV...

For about 5 more months...

3. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Sorry. I'm not following your logic. Why did you have to switch to cable for HD? I've been watching and recording HD on my HR10 for almost two years now.

4. solinar

solinar New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Because he, like so many others, myself included, cannot get network television in HD from DirecTV, and network TV shows are 80-90% of what my wife and I Tivo and watch.

I sit 20-25 miles from New Orleans and with a 18' long X 10' wide UHF antenna in my attic, cannot get the OTA signals reliably thanks to a Bellsouth substation with a ~300 foot microwave tower in the way a few blocks from me. I applied for waivers and was give the big ppbbsstt. New Orleans isn't even on the future list for HD locals from DirecTV, and I'm not willing to spend the $ to get the HDTivo boxs on the hopes that I can "move" to a location where I can get the nationals but still be in my spot beam.

I have no choice for HD network shows other than cable (which has a 6 month waiting list for HD-DVRs at the moment).

So, I mostly watch SD Tivo and download a few HD shows.

The minute anyone gives me the ability to get and record the networks in HD, I will drop DirecTV like a hot potato. If DirecTV manages to get them first, I am sure I will continue to be a customer.

5. bythecshore

bythecshore New Member

May 20, 2006

Advertisements

>>>Sorry. I'm not following your logic. Why did you have to switch to cable for HD? I've been watching and recording HD on my HR10 for almost two years now.

Actually I didn't switch TO cable, I already had it, but not HD. When I switched to HD I was told - by TiVo customer support - that my TiVo would not record 16:9 HD signals. So that's why I got the DVR/cable box when I switched.

Are you saying that my existing TiVo would have worked?

6. nitsudima

nitsudima New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Westfield, IN
    Nope. Not for cable. There is an HD Tivo for DirecTV that's been out for a few years, however. It will ONLY work with DirecTV, so since you were on cable already it wouldn't do you any good.

There is a SA HD Tivo in the works, but as the rep said, it will be a while.

7. pintnight

pintnight BOO!

Oct 6, 2004
    West of...
    You shouldn't believe everything that a TiVo CSR says. HR10-250 can record in 16:9 HD, just not in MPEG4, only MPEG2 is being used. DirecTV will be releasing (who knows when) a new DVR with their own software to record in MPEG4.

As for your existing TiVo, yes it will record in 16:9, I used to use a TiVo Series 2 with my Sony Sat-HD300 until I got my HR10-250.

How did you use your existing TiVo?

8. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I just hope that rep is as wrong about the date as another one was quoted as saying it would be out within the month (posted elsewhere in TCF). I be glad for a happy medium.

9. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I guess that depends on which rep he meant. The TiVo rep might have meant a series 3 which is due sometime in the 2nd half of 2006, the Comcast rep might have meant the TiVo software for the Motorolla 6412 which will hopefully be out very soon.

10. JohnTivo

JohnTivo Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Carlsbad, CA
    The Comcast version of the TiVo OS is reportedly in beta tests now. I think I read that it is not scheduled to be released to the general public until 4th quarter.

11. redfiver

redfiver New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    This sounds like a VHF antenna, not a UHF antenna. UHF antennas are usually rectangular are are not "long" at all. Mine is an 8-bow UHF that is mostly square.

There is a long range UHF antenna that is about 7 feet long, but only 2 feet wide.

These UHF antennas usually get better reception then the UHF/VHF style antennas (which sounds like you have).

12. bythecshore

bythecshore New Member

May 20, 2006

That's great news... do you know if they're planning on upgrading current owners of the Motorola dual-tuner box?

13. bythecshore

bythecshore New Member

May 20, 2006
    I was using my TiVo for SD recording, connected directly to Comcast cable without a cable box. I didn't know about the 16:9 capabilities, but even so, I needed to upgrade to HD cable. So now my sister-in-law has my old TiVo and I have (my second) Comcast HD DVR/cable box. It is definitely not ready for prime time - seems more like a beta version that they rushed out.

14. PatMcNJ

PatMcNJ Member

May 21, 2006
    I bought a high Def plasma a month ago. We are still using the Series 2 Tivo..... My Plasma TV came with a tuner. So, I wired the cable with a splitter. One side goes into cable box then to TV (via HDMI). Thats where I watch the high def TV, and standard TV of course. The other side goes into the Tivo, then into the TV under a different set up inputs. So, to watch the Tivo, we just switch over to those inputs. What I LOST, is the ability to record premium stations like HBO on the Tivo. I have Lifetime service on this Tivo, so I will live with this until Series 3 is available. This is not perfect, but at least I can use Tivo to record shows like before. The quality is not THAT bad, either. (I have 42 inch Panansonic Plasma). And since the Tivo is now not wired via the cable box, I no longer have the headache of someone turning off the cable box by mistake(preventing the Tivo from recording) and I no longer need those little wires to dangle in front of cable box to change the channels......... Alot of my recording was on the channels I still get.

Is there ANY word on the release of Series 3???

15. solinar

solinar New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    It may well be. Its one of those that looks like the the shape of an arrow.

Signal strength isn't the problem however. I get 90+% on all of the channels out of new orleans, its just every minute or two the signal cuts out for 10 seconds or so and then comes back. It happens on all of the channels and its often enough and annoying enough that I finally unhooked my HD box and just hooked up a SD tivo.

16. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    16:9 is better but its still not HD. The best you can do with a current tivo is rent an HD cable box and if it supports it you can get 16:9 from either the composite or s-video output. I think you will be happier with the cable DVR until the S3 comes out.