A REAL RF repeater/extender

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by philhu, Dec 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    hi

I have 2 tivos in my basement, a remote paired to each
    In my den, the rf has plenty of range to talk to the tivo in the basement

The remote in the upstairs bedroom, barely has range, another 10 feet would be cool.

I've seen the netxtgen, etc rf extenders that take IR, cvt to rf, then turn back to ir at other end.

What I am looking for is a real rf repeater/extender. Will take the rf signal transmitted and strengthen or repeat it. I heard of some device that goes on the end of the remote?

Also, I got an older glo premier remote, has rf, and some learning keys. Does anyone know if the transmitter in the glo unit is stronger?????

Does anyone know if this will work?
    433MHz RF Wireless Repeater Signal Amplification Booster Learning Code Extender | eBay

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I thought the older Premiere remotes were all IR-only?

Scott

3. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    Well, that would be my first flaw in the plan. :)

Assuming that, is there any way to REALLY strengthen the rf in a tivo remote? Not rf from IR or anything like that. Has anyone gotten a tivo remote to transmit stronger? Care to share methods??

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Try Lithium batteries. Looking at System Information my battery level is 100%. What's yours?

5. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    Ok remote was at 90% i put inlithium. Whichshow 100% but very little improvement in keys

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry, it was worth a shot. BTW, the lithium last a long time, but when they go below 100%, replace them. They die quickly.

7. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    ok, I ordered this:
    433MHz RF Wireless Repeater Signal Amplification Booster Learning Code Extender | eBay

It is supposed to be used for the wait things at a restuarant, but it knows almost all rf protocols and has a library of a million header codes. For $24, worth trying.

Anyone try one of those?

also, btw, I'll probably move the tivo that is just out of range about 20 feet closer to the master bedroom (other side of basement roomm past the basement wall). It seems to work as it is about 60% of the time, so 20 feet should do it.