A question about picture quality

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by vonbismarck, Jan 17, 2006.

1. vonbismarck

vonbismarck New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Hello, all. This doesn't have much to do with tivo but I was told that I should ask my question here.

I am thinking of getting an upscaler and was wondering if any has tried this with Directv and how it turned out. Right now I am looking at an iscan ultra (it is an older version) but might get a newer version if I have the money. I am thinking of hooking the STB, dvd player (and if possible my game consoles) into it.

Thank you

2. JaserLet

JaserLet New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Midwest
    Upscalers aren't magical, they won't make the net signal any better than it was originally. In some cases they can seriously degrade the picture.

However, if you have something other than a CRT, an external upscaler may be better than your TV's internal upscaler. The result would be a better picture.

So it really depends on how good your TV or Projector's internal upscaler is. For more on this, head over to avsforum.com. If you have a CRT TV, you probably don't need an upscaler. If you have a fairly new LCD/Plasma/DLP TV or projector you probably don't need an upscaler unless you're a real stickler for quality.