A question about folders

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by k.Trout, Jul 17, 2006.

1. k.Trout

k.Trout New Member

Sep 14, 2004

Advertisements

Yes, this is an optimistic question. ;)

If the 6.3 upgrade ever makes it's way to our hr10's and we get folders just how much control will we have over them? Will we be able to create folders and place shows of our choosing into those folders? Move shows from one folder to another?

Thanks for any help with this.

2. tiggermanh

tiggermanh to be like Earl

Dec 14, 2004
    Dayton Ohio
    No, you'll only be able to have folders that are sorted by the title of the show. You can choose the sort order by date.

So if you have 5 recordings of David Letterman, they will all be grouped together under a David letterman folder.

3. k.Trout

k.Trout New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Thanks for the quick reply.

That brings up another question. One of the things I want to be able to do is to archive football games into folders. It sounds like from your response that it will be title specific. Do you happen to know how it is worked if you record three games of team A vs team B,C,D which would likely be put into one folder and then a game of team D vs A. I am assuming that D vs A would not be automatically filed in the same folder as A vs D due to differing titles. I hope I am wrong about this..... do you know? Maybe it is done by "sports"??

4. bldxyz

bldxyz New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    San Francisco
    I don't know for certain, but I'm willing to bet that it does it by show title, the same way it thinks about repeats. For example, sometimes the program guide will list a game as "Major League Baseball" and include the teams in the description, othertimes the program guide will show "Royals @ Indians". My assumption would be that all games listed as "Major League Baseball" would show up in one folder, but any games listed by team names would be distinct, so you'd get a three game series between the Royals and Indians in one folder, and the next three game series between the Royals and the Twins in another.

5. AstroDad

AstroDad Like Death & Taxes

Jan 21, 2003
    Houston

Advertisements

It is by title, but with football depending on the Channel, the teams involved are not part of the title, they are part of the description. I recorded all of the Texas games last season and all of the games that were on FSN are grouped because the title is just "College Football". The National Championship, on the other hand is titled "2006 Rose Bowl: USC vs Texas"

So it depends...

6. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    It by title or wishlist. If you have a wishlist that covers all of your football games they would end up in one folder.

7. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    That is a good solution. WLs will indeed group them in the same folder, if the terminology is entered properly. Remember that Tivo's implementation of folders sometimes puts stuff in multiple locations (items can exist in multiple folders) and sometimes items are hidden in folders that do not appear normally in the list. You have to turn off folders to sometimes find all eps of a particular show, for instance.

8. k.Trout

k.Trout New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Many thanks to you all for your suggestions. It seems that the best alternative is to create a wish list with the name of the team and it should pick up on any program having to do with that team. I can easily edit out the ones I don't want to record and they should all end up in the same folder. Excellent!

Now if I can just remember to extend the record time for each game to cover the spillover of time after the alotted 3 hours I will be in good shape! If I don't and have to record the following program in order to catch the end of the game it will be named something else and won't be in the wishlist folder.

9. chris_h

chris_h New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Another good keyword to put in the wishlist is "at" This keyword can be entered in quotes by using the pause button for the quote symbol. I am assuming your sport of choice uses something like Eagles @ Seahawks for the title. YMMV. The "at" in the keywords prevents hits on "mating habits of bald eagles" etc.

10. mcdougll

mcdougll Occasionally Lucid

Jan 27, 2003
    Illinois
    Wait a minute. What?

Before it died, I had a DTiVo that had folders, and I don't remember having to turn off folders to find an episode. Can you elaborate on this?

11. Tom_Parker

Tom_Parker Been Around Forever

Feb 14, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Tis a truly stupid, basic question I ask:

How do you toggle folders on/off in the HD10-250? On my DirecTivo Series 2 it's a simple "2".

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

12. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    The current software on the HR10-250 does not support folders. 6.3 which supports folders is being tested by DirecTV right now. In the mean time you can turn on sorting. Go to the now playing list and hit (S)low zer(O) (R)ecord (T)humbs-up (spells sort) and now the 1, 2, and 3 gives you different sorting.