A Pox on TV Land

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Emacee, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

I could really learn to hate TV Land. What's with these people that they can't publish a schedule and stick to it? This has been going on for years. Programs start and end late. Programs start and end early. Scheduled recordings or "suggestion" recordings start in one show and end in another. It's gotten to the point where I won't even bother with any "suggestion" from TV Land (immediate delete). Don't they realize that there are a lot of us DVR users out there (and time-shifters probably represent a good percentage of the audience for their overnight schedule).? They are the worst.

2. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    +1

3. culprit622

culprit622 Not who you think

Aug 18, 2005
    NorCal
    I feel your pain.

I have a TV Land SP for M*A*S*H. At least three times a week my TiVo will record the last 15 minutes of the the show preceding it, and only the first 15 minutes of M*A*S*H. :mad:

4. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    I've noticed the same thing. Apparently, publishing accurate schedules is not high on their priority list.

5. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...

Advertisements

They publish accurate schedules, they just can't stick to them.

6. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I sincerely think the people who schedule at TV Land, or the guys who push the buttons and run ads (as in "more than can fit in a normal timeslot, so the program ends up ending late") are drunk 99% of the time.

I really do.

None of their scheduling problems make ANY sense.

7. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    For anyone who cares...

[​IMG]

8. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    You don't get Hallmark, the "All M*A*S*H, all the time" channel?

I gave up on TV Land years ago because my signal (Comcast analog) is so crappy. But I feel exactly the same way about Nickelodeon. After not being able to catch any shows because of the same 15 minute offsets, I cancelled all my SPs.

Jan

9. Kablemodem

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    And Little House!

10. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    I never watched that show, nor The Waltons.

Someone had a good quip about one of those two, not sure which:

Whenever the ratings went down, they'd blind another child.

11. wtb

wtb New Member

Dec 15, 2000
    St....
    And the original Star Trek...

12. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    The reason one of the girls on little house was blind was because person she was based on had gone blind.

13. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    My kids record a bunch of those shows and I cehcked some last night - they all recorded just fine within the guide data times.

maybe this is just related to certain shows and times like overnight

14. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    How is a schedule accurate if they don't stick to them? That's like saying Amtrak publishes accurate schedules . . . and TVland can't just blame unforseen circumtances.

And I agree--they had a Miami Vice marathon a few months ago and they were supposed to show 4 episodes, but managed to drag it out over 4.5 hours (filling in an extra half hour of ads). Good work.

15. Kablemodem

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    It's like a car reservation. They can make the reservation, but they can't hold the reservation.

Who are these people?

16. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    They're not always wrong. Then again, neither is a stopped clock.

17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, I used to have padding, but I recently noticed that the myths & legends show, and at least the first episode of the new David Steinberg talk show (which ended at something like :26..) both fit completely within their allotted time slots.

18. Koogan

Koogan New Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Athens, Georgia
    I agree that TV Land doesn't seem to care if their programs start or finish on time, and it creates problems recording.

What I think they've done is that during the Midnight to 6 a.m. run, they stretch 11 programs out over a 6 hour period that normally would hold 12. This allows them to run more commercials, but it puts each successive program further and further behind, until you're recording 1/2 of one program and 1/2 of another.

The simple solution for TV Land, if that's the way they want to program, is to list that their programs will start at 1:05 and finish at 1:40, or whatever it is. That way, they could pour on the commercials and also make their viewers happy who have DVRs.

Why they haven't thought of that, I don't know.

19. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It's simple.
    They don't want us "time-shifting" their shows.

20. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    That's my thought, and if you can't properly timeshift you get stuck at least listening to the slew of ads, which are notably louder then the show itself.