A Pointer In The Right Direction please

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Haggis440, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Haggis440

Haggis440 New Member

Aug 27, 2009

Advertisements

The situation is this.....

I have installed the turbonzet card, connected it to my wireless bridge and set the dialing prefix to ,#401. I tried to make a test call and it failed.

My wireless bridge is a belkin f5d7330 v2. and if I attach my laptop to it connect to the internet no problem.

Help......:confused:

2. RWILTS

RWILTS New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Cardiff
    Did same couple of weeks ago. Do you have the drivers on your harddrive? I had same problmes initialy had to pull drive and put drivers on.

3. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    The dialling prefix is for v3 software (I think). You don't need one for a UK Tivo - well, I have never set one anyway.

Have a look through this thread. It's dealing with Tivos that occasionally forget to use the network and revert back to dialup but goes through the steps needed to set up the network download. So long as you can telnet to Tivo, then it should work without touching any of the on-screen Tivo menus.

In other words, get Tivo to successfully make a (test) call using the phone line, reboot, then switch to network download, reboot again and try another test call.

4. RWILTS

RWILTS New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Cardiff
    Trinitron,

happy to be wrong. Everything i read told me to change the dial prefix and I did and its working.

Don't want to try changing it now as its working so well:)

5. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West

Advertisements

I don't think changing or deleting the prefix will actually have any effect. IIRC, the ,#401 prefix was introduced in v3.0 to simplify daily calls by telling Tivo to try /dev/eth0 before the modem. As our 2.5.5 software doesn't recognise the prefix, it has no effect. The instruction to use network connection on our machines is carried out by running nic_config_tivo to change the invocation code.

6. RWILTS

RWILTS New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Cardiff
    I consider myself told ;)

Haggis, any update?

7. Haggis440

Haggis440 New Member

Aug 27, 2009
    I removed my drive from the tivo and disconected my dives in my pc.

Pluged in the tivo drive and started up on the boot cd.

loged into the boot cd and it came up that there was no tivo drive connected.

HELP:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek

Is there anyone near huntingdon who can help me:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Haggis.

8. tartan_haggis

tartan_haggis MacTiVo

Jun 13, 2005
    Cambridgeshire
    I am in Huntingdon (Brampton) and have a couple of different TiVo drives if you want to test some out.

9. RWILTS

RWILTS New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Cardiff
    are you sure the tivo drive was on the correct cable and set appropriately. when i put network drives on last month I had the same message until i swapped hard drive and cd drive cables.

Something to do with the hard drive having to be a certain location. Somone else will clarify.

10. Haggis440

Haggis440 New Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Thanks for the chat Tartan_Haggis,

I have tride to have a look at the size of the drives to see if they are locked via the bios, and it only comes up as 'device unknown'

when I run the silverdust bootcd and get past the login in it comes up with

mount:block device /dev/hdb is write-protected, mounting read-only
    mount: no medium found

/# _

anyone got any idea.

If it is of any further help it is been atempted on a dell dimention 8200 with bios v5

And the tivo is a single disk 40gb quantum fireball

11. tartan_haggis

tartan_haggis MacTiVo

Jun 13, 2005
    Cambridgeshire
    This may vary depending what boot CD you are using and which set of instructions you are following.

Last time I upgraded, I followed the Steve Jenkins instructions.

The CD-ROM drive should be connected to the IDE Channel 1 SLAVE.
    The TiVo "A" drive should be connected to the IDE Channel 2 MASTER.
    Make sure any Windows hard drive is removed from the PC.

The CD should boot up into Linux with the CD-ROM drive already mounted. You just need to create the mount points for the TiVo drive and go from there.

As we discussed, your drive may be locked. The Jenkins CD automatically unlocks a locked drive on boot. Other methods require you to run either the qunlock (for Quantum drives I think) or diskutil (Maxtor or Quantum) utilities which can be downloaded separately. PM me if you need the links.

Good luck and keep us posted!

12. Haggis440

Haggis440 New Member

Aug 27, 2009
    All is now fine in the Haggis household.....

There are two things that I changed.......

1. I dumped the silicondust boot cd in favour of the Steve Jenkins cd.

2. The jumper on my tivo drive was on CS, I switched this to master for the purpose of the install and switched back afterwards.

If there are any of you out there who are looking at doing the upgrade but are worried about getting a network connection to your tivo I can recommend a Belkin f5d7330 games adapter. available from the likes of ebay for about £15-£20 a small unit wich has wpa2 on 54g.

Thanks for the help all.

:up::)