a new DVR

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by pianoboy000, Mar 4, 2006.

1. pianoboy000

pianoboy000 lovin' life

Apr 20, 2005
    UWS Manhattan
    I am considering purchasing another DVR for my Directv service. I am looking for one that is easily "hackable" (i.e. not the R10 or R15). I know I will probably have to go the Ebay route and that is fine. What are some suggestions as to what model I should be looking for?

2. kschauwe

kschauwe Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Bowling...
    E-Bay, Garage Sales, Goodwill Stores (yes, some people have found them there), etc.
    Any series 2 except R10, will work ok.

3. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Sorry, you could have bought a BRAND NEW Hughes SD-DVR80 from Value Electronics, but I just checked their web site and it appears they are SOLD OUT. I bought one in January and another one in February and last week they still had a few. There is a possibility that you can actually find a brand new one listed on ebay.

4. MikeF

MikeF New Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Falcon, CO
    On the 28th Value Electronics still had Series 2 and R10's (non hackable though). I think they pulled the stuff off their website due to the new lease deal. you might still call them and ask if you can buy one (if they still have them).

Also Weaknees had Series 2 boxes. Haven't checked their deals lately though.