1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Million Little Things - Season 1 - spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cainebj, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I find it amusing after having A Million Little Things bashed over my head all week as the next great big TV show that it is the one of the NEW shows of the fall that no one started a thread about.

I thought it was OK - I didn't know the premise going in and don't see how they are going to keep up with one of the characters being dead.

It felt very much like someone's attempt to duplicate the formula of This Is Us.

That said - for a primetime soap - it's not terrible, but if it is all going to be flashbacks and time shifting... it's gonna get old pretty quick.

2. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I really liked the pilot. I had no idea what the show was going to be about, and it kept me interested all the way through.
    I thought the acting and story were good.
    I'm in for the season unless it derails.

3. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Pretty much covers all the bases (is there a playbook for this?).
    Best friend sleeping with wife of best friend. Life 'touched' by preventing a suicide. Best friend with cancer. Newcomer who quickly bonds with the group. And of course, the mystery.

Yawn….. (but I'll watch e2 :))

LlamaLarry likes this.
  4. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Flashbacks and time shifting seems to be working for "This is Us"

sharkster likes this.
  5. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I had skipped the commercials and just saw one - was kinda really surprised they gave away the suicide - IN THE commercial!!!

6. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    +1. I liked the pilot enough to watch another. Have no idea which direction they'll take it, but it has potential.

Ratings were barely lukewarm.

7. The Spud

The Spud Rather be cruising TCF Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
  8. Oct 1, 2018 #8 of 23
    jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    From the promos leading up to the premiere I figured this was going to be ABC's answer to This Is Us. I didn't watch it as I'm barely hanging on to that one. Since it's Big Chill inspired it sounds like it's more friend than family melodrama.

9. Oct 1, 2018 #9 of 23
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
  10. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    E2 - Getting to be too much of a nightime Soap Opera.

11. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Just like New Amsterdam, the Million Little Things pilot was excellent but after watching the second episode I don’t think I’ll be able to maintain my interest from week-to-week.

Conversely, the FBI pilot was only so-so and I almost killed it but the 2nd episode was great and it looks promising going forward so there’s still a chance I’ll keep it.

12. connie_w

connie_w Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 9, 2015
    I thought the first episode was fantastic. If there never was another episode, it could stand alone as a story. I thought it was so good, I watched it 3 times. Episode 2 was good, not quite as good as Ep 1. I think they do the flashbacks better than This is Us. I like all the characters.

13. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I liked episode 2 as much as I did the pilot. This dang show is tugging at an emotional side of me that I didn't know existed.

connie_w likes this.
  14. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Agree. I'm still enjoying it.

15. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    In the second episode, did Ashley (Jon's assistant) find a letter meant for Delilah? Didn't Ashley hide a folder that was on the balcony after Jon jumped?

Looks like Jon knew about Eddie and Delilah.

Not sure I like any of these characters enough to keep watching for the full season, but I'll give it a few more episodes.

16. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Episode 3 was tough to watch. Very depressing hour. I'm thinking if we had been a few more episodes in, known the characters better, maybe it would make more sense, but after just two episodes, they just drown us in misery. Hard to enjoy.

And there is still the very quiet background mystery. We get maybe one flash scene each week. There was an folder Jon left, that Ashley hid. Then there was that phone call this week, with Ashley referring to the subway station, that was mentioned earlier in the episode. Hmm?

17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I haven't yet watched the 3rd ep.. but I thought it's decent enough to keep watching.. since it's on Hulu, I've been watching it at the gym.

18. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Active Member

Apr 30, 2003
    I'm having a hard time feeling any sympathy for Delilah, even with her asides that their marriage was in a bad place and Jon was enough for everyone else and that left nothing for her. Her life sure looks pretty rosy and unless the show decides to give Jon feet of clay in a big way I can't wrap my head around Delilah straying and then falling in love with one of his best friends and a close family friend to her and her children.

Eddie's life is a little more complicated with a workaholic, hot model lawyer (?), breadwinner that leaves his free time for child care, guitar lessons, and crappy necklaces, but of all the "I wanna learn a love song" moms he violates bro code in probably the most serious way? I can't see Gary or Rome forgiving that and heaven help him if they find out about the phone call, even if the message is a little ambiguous.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  19. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Good summary of some of the problems I have at this point also. I'm still watching, it's written well, and I like the characters and (until now) the group dynamic. But I'm having trouble seeing where they go that stays true to each character. One would think the group would start to fall apart with this latest news. The hockey camp is a good example; they went, but it wasn't team building, it was team destroying.

But I'll watch as long as it's entertaining.

20. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Active Member

Apr 30, 2003
    Infidelity by a member of your circle of friends is pretty destructive (I know this first hand both as a bystander and an offender), but I have to imagine infidelity between members of your circle results in automatic excision of both parties and probably the implosion of the group because the remaining members are disillusioned.

I can only guess whatever the heck Ashley is doing (seemingly against Jon's careful planning) will re-form the group somehow, but if the show shifts Jon from an ideal good person/friend/businessman/father/husband to something shady I think I will drop out.