A little newbie clarification help?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by enoch root, Jan 16, 2006.

1. enoch root

enoch root New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    First, I apologize for my ignorance on this stuff, but please help a newbie. I've spent the last couple hours searching and reading through tons of posts on here, learned a lot, and gotten a bit confused. A couple things that I'm trying to get clarification on:

FYI - I have directtv, series 2, rca dvr

1) I'd like to use my wireless modem rather than my phone line for basic updates -- but, does directtv not allow usb/ethernet and/or usb/wireless? (or, how can i connect to my wireless router?)

2) Given 1, I assume I cannot use tivo desktop -- Is that the HMO need that I read about?

3) Lastly, I'm trying to feed my itunes through my home theater system. Should I use my tivo/dvr?

Thanks for any help you may be willing to throw my way.

Cheers.

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    For #1: Wireless MODEM is very different different then Wirless "NETWORK" adapter. A wireless MODEM will work fine (provided it is a DATA module version), with any of the DVRs.

For #2: Correct, the current software won't let you do it... unless you modify your system.

For #3: See #2, with out networking options, you won't be able to tap into your music library

3. enoch root

enoch root New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    thank you. I thought that was how i should be reading #2 & 3.

Regarding #1 -- I was trying to find a compatible wireless adapter for my dvr, but ran across references to it not being available? I fear I didn't understand that correctly. What wireless adapter am I looking for to grab my wireless signal. Or, do I need to run ethernet from router-to-dvr?

4. ClemSole

ClemSole New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    the usb connection is disabled, unusable, unless you hack your system and then it depends on what system you have.